Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I am the King of slow fire

TonyATonyA Posts: 566
I never get in a hurry egging but I had a good laugh when I noticed it took me 45 minutes to get to 500 degrees.

Starter cubes. Gotta love em.

image.jpg 1.8M
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,572
    Weed burner
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    Yeah, I have one. I just didnt have the propane there. Lazy.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,616

Also Hi-Cue charcoal grate!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,661
    Bge electric starter... Replaced my mapp torch.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,317
    91% alcohol is very quick and burns clean and safely.

Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 617

I have been using the Looft Lighter - 2 min to light and get to 5 hundy in 5 minutes.  If the power is out or not close well, that's a problem. Noticed the corn - Been cooking mine in the husk - soak for 1 hr, peel back and remove the silk, lather up with butter and sea salt then secure the husk with some twine.  Total of 12 min at 4 or 500 - Turning occasionally.  Comes out good.  Barry, you are in major corn country - Lived in Lancaster twice!

Milton, GA.
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Well...the time ( +/- 20mins ) it takes to get to stabil temp helps to burn off the undesirable VOCs.  They adversley affect taste and maybe even long term health.  I generally light with cubes ( lazy ) and 30 min later cook.  IMHO..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 617
    cookinfun said:
    Well...the time ( +/- 20mins ) it takes to get to stabil temp helps to burn off the undesirable VOCs.  They adversley affect taste and maybe even long term health.  I generally light with cubes ( lazy ) and 30 min later cook.  IMHO..
    I agree - Also let it stabilize but it heats up quick.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    You're not the king of slow fire till you can hold <150 for hours on purpose.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • grEGGorysgrEGGorys Posts: 162
    I always balked at getting an egg because I didn't want to mess with charcoal anymore. So I suffered cooking on gassers for about ten years and thought the food tasted good. Since getting the egg and tasting how great the food is I do show pictures of my cooks and BRAG about how good the egg really is. Not sure if I have helped sell any eggs but owning an egg definitely makes me proud.
    Gulf Coast FL
    ·
    @flynnbob those corn started out in a foil packet with some butter and salt. Then just got a quick kiss on the grill to caramelize some of the sugars.

@griffin I figured somebody would eventually call me on that after I posted it. Fair point. This fall ill do some salmon; see if I can live up to my word. I'm good for a challenge.
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,406
    @TonyA, hope you had a sufficient supply of adult beverage to get you there!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'm also a big fan of the 91% alcohol. Really to easy. Just remember its not that flammable in the winter as to a nice hot summer day. I got use to using it in the winter and when summer came around i didn't even think about it and lit it with a unexpected hot flash because of the temp. just let it vent before lighting.  
    ·
    @Jrod72 or @Shiff, how do you guys apply the alcohol?
    ·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2013

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    Hi54putty said:
    Weed burner

TonyA said:
    Yeah, I have one. I just didnt have the propane there. Lazy.
    Me too, but it only comes out when sitting by the camp fire and playing the guitar at night :)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,317
    TonyA said:
    @Jrod72 or @Shiff, how do you guys apply the alcohol?
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
    i'm going to have to try that .. i like it.
    ·