Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Rib Cook

hapster
hapster Posts: 7,503
Just want to run this past the rib veterans...

I have 3 racks of baby backs and 2 racks of spares

Planning on taking the membrane off, rubbing down with a little olive oil and then a good coating of rub, probably Swamp Venom. Doing them indirect at 300 till they pass the bend test and then a little sauce and another 30 min to set the sauce.

Normally would use my rack in my large. This time I am thinking of going flat with the Woo3 and Extender. 3 in the bottom and 2 on top with some hickory smoke.

Anything different going flat vs vertical? Considering using mesquite instead?

Planning on having them ready around 6 so if they finish early ill put them in a warm oven.

Input appreciated...

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I did this same exact cook with my Woo and grid extender. Worked great. Ribs on the top rack cooked a lot faster.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    You may wanna consider rotating bout every hour or so.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• hapster
    Thanks guys! Hadn't considered the rotate idea.

@Hi54putty do you mean the Woo Extender, or the more recent swing extender from the group buy?
  • hapster
    Doesn't feel right without any picture in my thread...

Some Woodford and a stick for listening to the Tigers and Twins tonight. I did pick up a bottle of Double Oak for tomorrow, little Fathers Day treat for myself.

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    No need for olive oil imho. I try to rub a few hours before they need to go on and wrap in foil and put in the fridge. Once they are done I give another small dusting and on they go. No real difference on flat vs vertical except when I do vertical I will flip the side facing the heat halfway through. I think mesquite is too strong for ribs, I like a combo of fruit wood and oak. Either way I am sure they will be great, you always come up with good looking cooks.
  • hapster
    GA_Dawgs said:

No need for olive oil imho. I try to rub a few hours before they need to go on and wrap in foil and put in the fridge. Once they are done I give another small dusting and on they go. No real difference on flat vs vertical except when I do vertical I will flip the side facing the heat halfway through. I think mesquite is too strong for ribs, I like a combo of fruit wood and oak. Either way I am sure they will be great, you always come up with good looking cooks.

Might go with oak, now that you mention it. Liked it on the pork butt last week...
  • GA_Dawgs
    Sure thing, can't wait to see how they turn out!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I used persimmon wood for the first time on a butt today. I really liked it and the wife commented how she liked the "lighter smoky" flavor. If she's happy I'm happy.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    +1 on no olive oil, look forward to seeing them
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013

Hap, I have never "oiled" a rack of ribs. YMMV. I use DP usually or Skicky fingers rub. Today I used Bone sucking sauce rub and it was outta this planet. No "spicy" heat at all but a lot of buttery sweetness. My daughter would not let me take another rib or two.

Ribs are an art form. There are good days and really bad days. Usually its the cook. Ran out of that or the other. Its like flying, you follow the magenta line, and hit the numbers, every time. But you will have hard landings.

:))

Sorry if I was too eloquent. I love ribs and do em too often. I buy fresh ribs from Fresh market or publix. Well worth the $ considering you are putting your life and reputation at stake.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• hapster
    I've used the oil before with good results, read somewhere about most rub spices being oil soluble and penetrating the ribs better...

I will be sure to at least get some phone pics.

Still rocking an iPhone 4 and waiting to see what the next version has for a camera before upgrading.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I belong to the "mustard slather" bunch. Mustard and choice of rub(s) and on to the grid.

This has stood real well for me for several years.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • hapster
    I've done mustard on a few butts... Didn't notice any real difference vs oil or nothing
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    @hapster am no rib expert how i've been doing them yellow mustard for binding the rub then 3 hours @265 grid bone side down then off and wrapped meat side down pats of butter brown sugar and honey back on for a hour then off unwrapped sauced and add more rub back on for 15/20 minutes to tighten up and set the sauce  .i've done them that way about a dozen times and everyone loves them and won the contest i was in the other month doing them that way 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • GA_Dawgs
    I am in the other camp, I have never foiled. I go about 275 till they are done. I may try foiling one day but haven't had the desire to yet and don't feel like dealing with the extra steps.
  • Always love your pics. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • bigphil
    GA_Dawgs said:
    I am in the other camp, I have never foiled. I go about 275 till they are done. I may try foiling one day but haven't had the desire to yet and don't feel like dealing with the extra steps.
    i will try that one day but every time i change something from the normal way i do it i never like it lol .so that will be when no one is around just in case 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • GA_Dawgs
    Fair enough. That's why I keep doing it the same way haha
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hapster said:
    I've used the oil before with good results, read somewhere about most rub spices being oil soluble and penetrating the ribs better... I will be sure to at least get some phone pics. Still rocking an iPhone 4 and waiting to see what the next version has for a camera before upgrading.
    Since trolling was mentioned earlier... Make sure you upgrade to a Droid. 
    >:)
  • hapster

hapster said:

I've used the oil before with good results, read somewhere about most rub spices being oil soluble and penetrating the ribs better...

I will be sure to at least get some phone pics.

Still rocking an iPhone 4 and waiting to see what the next version has for a camera before upgrading.

Since trolling was mentioned earlier... Make sure you upgrade to a Droid. 
    >:)

:))

No chance now, work went over to the iPhone as well an ill be getting an iPad soon.

I'm that tool that carries 2 iPhones most of the time. ;)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @bigphil what is the ratio/formula for the butter, brown sugar, honey mixture that you use with the foil.  Have never put anything sweet on ribs (other than sauce).  TIA
  • bigphil
    @Duganboy i use 5/6 pats of butter and the brown sugar i never measured but i'd say at least about a 1/4 cup and the honey i squeeze up and down the rack about five times 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118

bigphil said:
    @Duganboy i use 5/6 pats of butter and the brown sugar i never measured but i'd say at least about a 1/4 cup and the honey i squeeze up and down the rack about five times 
    Thanks @bigphil. Going to try that on a rack and see how it goes. Like I said, I've always been just a rub guy and most of the times eat them dry, so that sweetness would really make a different taste.
  • bigphil
    Duganboy said:

bigphil said:
    Thanks @bigphil. Going to try that on a rack and see how it goes. Like I said, I've always been just a rub guy and most of the times eat them dry, so that sweetness would really make a different taste.
    i use 3eyez rub and a sauce with a little bite so its kinda like a sweet heat 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    hapster said:

Thanks guys! Hadn't considered the rotate idea.

@Hi54putty do you mean the Woo Extender, or the more recent swing extender from the group buy?

The group buy thing
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    How did you get those ribs to look like a cigar ?  Genius !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Just a thought @Hapster - if you have the baby backs on the bottom and the 2 racks of spares on top, it might not be necessary to rotate them since the spares are bigger.  

My problem is usually I can only get one full rack to fit across the egg (in the very center), so I have to cut them.  Maybe we have bigger pigs in GA :)

I have used olive oil and mustard (and nothing) and can't really say it makes a difference.  Last few times I have not used anything- jut rub on meat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I spritz every 45 minutes or so with 60/40 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. I also foil for 45 min with brown sugar butter and honey at the end. They have never been fall off the bone (which is a good thing IMO). Finish by saucing over direct heat. I also check the temp but I'm crazy. My .02
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I used to foil on my WSM but see no need to on the egg
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA