Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone actually use the BGE lump?

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    **** fight!
    Options
    (that's a female dog, family friendly)
    Options
    FWIW, the wally world near my home is still selling the 17 pound RO bags for $10.  I find that hard to beat, although price neutral I find Ozark Oak a better product.  For those in central Texas, the Central Market lump is sold at most HEB stores and the price per pound is closer to RO than Ozark Oak.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Unless something has changed:

The Naked Whiz
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Made by the same company but BGE bags are far better than RO. With that being said I can't buy it all the time at 25 a bag.
    Large BGE

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    EddieK76 said:
    Made by the same company but BGE bags are far better than RO. With that being said I can't buy it all the time at 25 a bag.
    FWIW, I've had good and not so good bags of both.  One difference however might be that I was told by someone in the business that they put bigger pieces into 20 pound bags than they do in 10 pound bags.  But I can't imaging how RO would make "better" charcoal for one brand than they do under their own name.  I 'spose it is possible that BGE lump could be made in one plant in one part of the country and other labels in others, and that the source wood could be different, but I've never noticed any difference in the long run.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Word on the street around me is that BGE lump is "choice" RO(bigger pieces?) similar to the commercial branded RO.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I bought Royal Oak on sale at Wal-Mart 17.6 lb bag for &10.00 a bag I bought all they had and as far as im concerned it works just as goo for less them 1/2 the price 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    henapple said:

Is ro and BGE made by the same company? Idk, but Chevrolet makes corvette and chevette. Price per pound isn't the only factor. Taste and cooks per pound are important also.

I know that Wegmans and BGE are both RO products. I know that the BGE burned clear quicker than fresh Wgmans lump, but my BGE dealer also has it around $1.50/lb, Wegmans is 65 cents/lb. plus going to my dealer is an extra stop. So in my case, the choice is easy.

What @henapple says is true, you have to factor in everything. All things being equal, I've forums that BGE is a bit better than straight RO or the Wegmans brand. But I don't think it is 3 times as good (price, plus extra stop when running errands).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

henapple said:

I disagree and think you're stupid.

of course you do. You are just a shill for Ozark Oak

PBR-swilling, scarf wearing, ironic hipster shill. He even wears boots with 2-inch heels. I heard he shaved his chest to look better for the ladies while wearing v-necks on the beach. I bet he played that MILF some obscure dubstep tracks instead of taking pictures to show us; like a true gentleman would. Mirrored sunglasses? More like thick framed glasses without lenses. I bet he got his tongue pierced too to match his Prince Albert.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Oh no you did nt
    Options
    it's on (but leave me outta it)
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I bought 3 pallets of Humphrey in a group buy for $13.19/bag. Those were 20 pound bags. That averages out to about $.65/pound. That price included shipping. It ended up being cheaper than Royal Oak at Walmart. I've never used Wicked Good, but I've heard it is as good or comparable.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I use it.  I'm still only on my third bag (about to start my fourth), and I've been cooking more or less constantly since April. It seems expensive until I price it out as cook/bag, and then it seems reasonable.  I'd branch out, but I've pretty much got an "if it ain't broke" attitude about it.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have an arbitrary rule that I don't pay more for lump per pound than I pay for the lowest sale price of Boston butt per pound.  So anything $0.99 or more per pound for lump ain't gonna happen. 
    Options

I have an arbitrary rule that I don't pay more for lump per pound than I pay for the lowest sale price of Boston butt per pound.  So anything $0.99 or more per pound for lump ain't gonna happen. 

Unless it can act as a "fluffer" while I'm waiting for it to come to temp.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Unless it can act as a "fluffer" while I'm waiting for it to come to temp.
    In that case, I'll try to keep it under $120 total.
    Options
    BGE lump is the only thing I have used for the last 5 years. Go through a bag a month. I could scramble around and experiment with others but to save a few bucks it just is not worth it.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I've used B&B but it has too much of the smaller pieces. So I bought a bag of BGE. $25 for a 20lb bag. I don't shop Wally world. No other retailer has RO down here that I have found. Lowe's has Cowboy but I hear it is full of chips also. I'll keep on looking. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas