Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Built an altar for my XLBGE

Well, i finally got my own BGE and after a few beers, thought, why don't i build a table to dress up the patio?  cannot be that difficult or take too long.....  Well, guess you know how that turned out. 

The table houses my XLBGE and a 500 series Napoleon to warm the plates.  The table is 90" long by 35' deep and was constructed in two parts.  The base is framed in pressure treated 2X4s supported by 6 4X4 posts and decked in 3/4 plywood.  Each drawer is 32X30X8" to hold the tools and charcoal.  The upper structure is built on 2 sheets of 3/4" glued together and topped with a sheet of 1/2 concrete board to act as a thermal break.  The framing was done with 18 Gauge steel studs and the whole thing was covered in 1/2" concrete board with two layers for the table top.  The whole upper portion was tiled top to bottom to dress it up and i put in an electric box for my Looft fire starter (not necessary but what a great toy to light up with). The egg is on two layers of patio stone to get the height just right.

This great idea took a bit of time and really wasn't that difficult.  We're very happy with the result even though the whole unit complete weighs in at about 1100 lbs so its pretty tough to move around.

I added a couple of pictures to illustrate the build and the final product.

·

Comments

• LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Wow, really nice!
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,111
    edited June 2013
    Wow- beautiful!  I like the stainless steel accessory storage unit ;)

Sorry...accessory storage unit AND plate warmer! 

Seriously though- I am in awe of the table construction.  I wish I had the skillz to do something like that. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,047
    Me too. I just look with amazement. My college education didnt teach me carpentry. Great workmanship @kentm
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • Well above my pay grade. Nicely done.

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Damn fine table Kent.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,062
    What a great table Kent!  Thanks for posting the pics!   :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 343
    Looks great and great job.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • cspearce2cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Very nice!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,752
    An altar worthy of an egg... Or an egg worthy of such an altar?

Beautiful build! :)

Where did you find the 18 g metal stud? And what did you use to cut it? I have been looking but can't find any so far. Drywall supply house said they would have to special order it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • GrillerGriller Posts: 88
    Very well done! Thanks for posting inspiration material. :)
    ·
  • cheech5001cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Awesome!

Gives me some ideas!
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,396
    That is just sexy!!!

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • KentMKentM Posts: 2
    Thanks for all your kind comments!  The steel came from a local supply house in Kitchener, Ont.  The steel is easy to work with using basic tools.  In my case an old Craftsman miter saw with a metal cuting blade and a small angle grinder.  It is quite easy to work with once you get the hang of it.  One lesson learned was to get the proper industrial self tap screws.  The ones frm Home Depot won't work in this material.  The stainless steel drawer came frm WEBstaurantStore.com at a very reasonable cost.  Their customer service is superb.  To keep costs down and for a bit of karma, the tiles for the top were bought at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.  I got the big drawer slides (100 lb rating) from Lee Valley Tools.  It was a fun build!  My wife takes credit for the tile job and it turned out great.  Breaking the Egg in with  pork shoulder this aft. Wish me luck!
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,747
    Good job.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    Boy, you don't play around.  That is very nice.
    ·