Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built an altar for my XLBGE

Options

Well, i finally got my own BGE and after a few beers, thought, why don't i build a table to dress up the patio?  cannot be that difficult or take too long.....  Well, guess you know how that turned out. 

The table houses my XLBGE and a 500 series Napoleon to warm the plates.  The table is 90" long by 35' deep and was constructed in two parts.  The base is framed in pressure treated 2X4s supported by 6 4X4 posts and decked in 3/4 plywood.  Each drawer is 32X30X8" to hold the tools and charcoal.  The upper structure is built on 2 sheets of 3/4" glued together and topped with a sheet of 1/2 concrete board to act as a thermal break.  The framing was done with 18 Gauge steel studs and the whole thing was covered in 1/2" concrete board with two layers for the table top.  The whole upper portion was tiled top to bottom to dress it up and i put in an electric box for my Looft fire starter (not necessary but what a great toy to light up with). The egg is on two layers of patio stone to get the height just right.

This great idea took a bit of time and really wasn't that difficult.  We're very happy with the result even though the whole unit complete weighs in at about 1100 lbs so its pretty tough to move around.

I added a couple of pictures to illustrate the build and the final product.

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Wow, really nice!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wow- beautiful!  I like the stainless steel accessory storage unit ;)

Sorry...accessory storage unit AND plate warmer! 

Seriously though- I am in awe of the table construction.  I wish I had the skillz to do something like that. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Me too. I just look with amazement. My college education didnt teach me carpentry. Great workmanship @kentm
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well above my pay grade. Nicely done.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Damn fine table Kent.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    What a great table Kent!  Thanks for posting the pics!   :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Looks great and great job.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Options
    Very nice!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    An altar worthy of an egg... Or an egg worthy of such an altar?

Beautiful build! :)

Where did you find the 18 g metal stud? And what did you use to cut it? I have been looking but can't find any so far. Drywall supply house said they would have to special order it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    Options
    Very well done! Thanks for posting inspiration material. :)
  • cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Options
    Awesome!

Gives me some ideas!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That is just sexy!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • KentM
    KentM Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind comments!  The steel came from a local supply house in Kitchener, Ont.  The steel is easy to work with using basic tools.  In my case an old Craftsman miter saw with a metal cuting blade and a small angle grinder.  It is quite easy to work with once you get the hang of it.  One lesson learned was to get the proper industrial self tap screws.  The ones frm Home Depot won't work in this material.  The stainless steel drawer came frm WEBstaurantStore.com at a very reasonable cost.  Their customer service is superb.  To keep costs down and for a bit of karma, the tiles for the top were bought at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.  I got the big drawer slides (100 lb rating) from Lee Valley Tools.  It was a fun build!  My wife takes credit for the tile job and it turned out great.  Breaking the Egg in with  pork shoulder this aft. Wish me luck!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Good job.

Garnerville, NY
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    Boy, you don't play around.  That is very nice.
  • KentM
    Options
    2016 Update...  The Egg and table are performing like a champ.  The only minor problem I have had is that it has crushed a heavy duty caster and sunk into the patio.  I needed to use a 2Ton floor jack to change the wheel!
    Outside of this minor issue, each time I use the egg no one will go hungry!  i have done 2 20 lb turkeys at a time, 22 lbs brisket low and slow for 20 hours @ 250F and never lost temp.  The latest was bone in rib-eye from Pat's Prime Cuts and Deli in Georgetown.  Pat really knows his business! These 30 oz bad boys were absolutely superb!  Check out the 3 medium rare and one medium well (not judging but really?.....).  I applied the "Best Steak Marinade in Existence" and it really enhanced the flavor without overpowering. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/143809/best-steak-marinade-in-existence/

Cheers!

Best Steak Marinade in Existence

Before

After

Accompanied by the best Malbec ever.  Fantastic balance and paired perfectly.  LCBO under $30

• Matt1969
    Matt1969 Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow ! Well done. I don't have those skills to build either but really great looking build. Steaks look amazing too ! 
    Cambridge, Ontario , Canada . XL BGE
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks for the update and wine suggestion. I may have to make a trip to the local lcbo. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Looks great, but get yourself a table nest.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @KentM   Welcome.  You obviously have skills!

Phoenix 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Wish I had those skills!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• KentM
    Options
    Dear BGE friends,
    after having enjoyed my egg and table these past 5 years it has become time to move from GTA to MTL.  unfortunately, the table will not make the trip.  I would like it to go to a good home and will be extremely reasonable!  The Napoleon can be considered.  The challenge is that it must be moved by June 28!  

If interested pls email formajors85@gmail.com or call 5145668812.  
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Wow!  Very nice
    Madison, AL
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    How well did the tile & grout hold up in the elements? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Possumtrot you and @The_Stache should make a trip to Canada. You could put that little Joe where that gas grill goes. I think you need this...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• KentM
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.  the tiles and grout held up extremely well.  We are located just north west of Toronto Canada and experience -40 C to +40 C shifts over the year.  it has been uncovered in rain, sleet, snow and sun and proved itself to be very durable.  the slot for the Napoleon is fully tiled and isolated.  it could easily accomodate a second little joe or similar.  

I really am stuck here since it must go before June 29th. I would appreciate if there is any interest within the Greater Toronto Area including Guelph.  

thanks in advance
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That’s a sweet table!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mikedfe
    Mikedfe Posts: 1
    Options
    That’s an awesome build. Gives me ideas for a double nest and a couple smokers. Thank you.  
  • KentM
    Options
    Well, the table made the move.  had to replace the casters with 4 steel that have capacity of 750lbs each.  rolls just fine now.  
    we succeeded with minimal injury!
  • geronimo
    geronimo Posts: 41
    Options
    Outstanding job!!