Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWMBO BDAY DINNER (FILETS)

Options

I haven't posted in a while any cooks due to being at the lake and a lot of travel as well for work. This weekend is the wife's BDAY and we are heading to the Hill Country (Texas for non Texans). I told the wife lets have a great dinner here before we head out in the morning and she agreed. I wanted Filets and Lobster but after the big lunch I consumed we just stuck with filets, baked potatoes, and brussels sprouts.

Got the egg stabilized at 300 Indirect for my potatoes and let them go for about 50 min or so and then threw on my Filets (Salt, Pepper, and Thyme). Did the Filets till they hit 105 and pulled them and let them rest for about 10MIN while I got the temp up to around 550. Threw them on for about 1.5Min per side to get a nice char.

Wife was on cloud nine after that steak, It was my first time trying it this way and it wont be my last. Also had a 2007 Bottle of Nickel & Nickel Chardonnay, and yes I did a white wine with a steak. It was damn hot out and a red wine outside when its 90 Plus out is not a refreshing drink for me.

Now a glass of Oban and a Fuente I am set for the trip tomorrow.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice dinner. Got to love the reverse sear on steaks, although I'm a big fan of pan seared (CI) for filet. Makes for a great crust and flavor. Have a good trip.
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 on the Oban. And an awesome looking plate!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Tuttle.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Meat looks great. Nothing beats a nice meal and good glass of wine. Where to in hill country? Miss those parts...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a fabulous meal...love the hill country...it's as flat as gwyneth paltrow here in the delta.
    Options
    Great work Tut! Enjoy the hill country and happy birthday to your wife.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Nicely done @TUTTLE871!! Fantastic looking steak. Tell your lovely wife I said Hi and Happy Birthday. What day is it?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Cooked exactly to my liking.  My wife would make me throw it back on the Egg for 5 more minutes.
    Nice job !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Thanks to all. We are hitting Hamilton Pool Nature Preserve today and then Wimberley tomorrow, I have always wanted to see Jacobs Well. We are staying in Marble Falls and just driving around enjoying the outdoors. I tried to get her to go on the bike but since its already hot here she said no.

@Griffin Her Bday is Monday but she is one of those that expects a Bday weekend.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Cool. It's my Birthday Weekend as well. Mrs. G's, too, hers is on Tuesday.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Happy birthday to you both @Griffin!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TUTTLE871 - when did you graduate from SM & U?
    LBGE and Mini
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @Springram... are you an SMU grad too?
    Options

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice Tuttle! Go over to Coopers in Llano tomorrow if you have time. old school TX cue joint. It's a good one. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Nice Tuttle! Go over to Coopers in Llano tomorrow if you have time. old school TX cue joint. It's a good one. 

Might do that on Sunday that's my BBQ day of stuffing my fat face.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.