Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs - advice please!

6 years with an egg and have never done beef ribs.  Like packer briskets, they're not readily available around these parts, but I finally found a good source.  Now what to do with them?  Cook like pork ribs?  Rub? Finishing glaze? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!
Mamaroneck

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Salt pepper and cook like pork ribs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I basically followed this last time and they turned out great:

Quick version:
    I hit them with some Worcester and some steak rub, 325 for 1:15 with lots of Oak, foiled them for about an hour, then put them back on the egg for 20-30 min.  Mixed some of the drippings from the foil with a BBQ sauce and basted them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    IMHO The biggest problem you will have is finding decent beef ribs. The best ones are going to restaurants. The ribs I have seen in grocery stores are trimmed to the bone. You might want want to consider cross cut ribs or short ribs. More meat and flavor IMHO.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Hard to find decent beef ribs here too.  When i do come across some nice ones i cook them the same as pork ribs.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Full "dino" bones are uncommon around here too. I buy as many as I can afford whenever I see them. The last ones I bought were 5.89/lb. I usually cook them the same as spares, but they finish quicker. 4 hours is a good estimate. The meat will draw way back from the bone ends.

More common are the slabs left after the rib-eyes are carved away. While they can be quite inexpensive, around the same price as spares, harder to cook because some of the meat is so thin it gets over done. I like to have some Stubbs original sauce on hand in case portion get a little too dry.

Either are fine w. just S&P, but the dino bones are meaty enough that stronger flavors don't mask the beef flavor.

Short ribs are a whole 'nother matter. Depending on where they are cut, they can range from tough to very tough. Foiling is often necessary. They do make one of the best cuts  for sous vide. I've got a bunch that will be ready for dinner. About 74 hours at 133F, bagged w. a little DP Cowlick. Will finish w. a few minutes of sear on the Egg. These are from an organic farm, and the flavor of their beef is usually exceptional. I expect these to me most delish.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Been wanting to try them too. Wal Mart around here has a ton of them. Got a rack and I am going to try Nibblemethis' recipe. The video on his site is a great step by step.

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    I've done them quite a few times.

Pull membrane for sure!!

Usually rub them with Cluck and Squeal beef specific, indirect @ 300 grid for four to five hours.

Good luck!
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Do beef ribs all the time....love them. Now mostly do turbo.....pull off membrane on back , rub with evoo and DP Dizzy Dust...cook indirect at 350 for 1 hour bone side down , 30 minutes bone side up and last 15 minutes bone side down with favorite sauce. I also spray with equal parts apple cider and apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes. I do this cook with apple wood .

George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i braise the short ribs, low and slow the big racks usually with a rub and a little white sugar on them. good luck with the membrane, i gave up with that and eat around it on beef ribs. the trick with the big racks is the meat, if you see shiners pass on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    gdenby said:
    Full "dino" bones are uncommon around here too. I buy as many as I can afford whenever I see them. The last ones I bought were 5.89/lb. I usually cook them the same as spares, but they finish quicker. 4 hours is a good estimate. The meat will draw way back from the bone ends.

More common are the slabs left after the rib-eyes are carved away. While they can be quite inexpensive, around the same price as spares, harder to cook because some of the meat is so thin it gets over done. I like to have some Stubbs original sauce on hand in case portion get a little too dry.

Either are fine w. just S&P, but the dino bones are meaty enough that stronger flavors don't mask the beef flavor.

Short ribs are a whole 'nother matter. Depending on where they are cut, they can range from tough to very tough. Foiling is often necessary. They do make one of the best cuts  for sous vide. I've got a bunch that will be ready for dinner. About 74 hours at 133F, bagged w. a little DP Cowlick. Will finish w. a few minutes of sear on the Egg. These are from an organic farm, and the flavor of their beef is usually exceptional. I expect these to me most delish.
    Short ribs are worth the effort, the last batch I did was time consuming and tasted great. Low and slow and foiled just like you said.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • What you want are beef chuck ribs, not shor ribs. @lakewade PM'd me a great video made by Robert Roriguez on brisket and beef ribs. It has some salty language so if you aren't into that, don't watch it. http://youtu.be/ZGOQ_npS4pI
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    "It has some salty language so if you aren't into that..."

I was surprised to see him  finish "en papilotte," if you'll excuse my French.
    :-j
  • I like to do beef ribs low like spares.  I think I may actually be getting to the point where I like them better...maybe.

I cook em low like 180-190 for 4-5 hours.  I hit them with a mop pretty often to keep them moist.  (Beer, squeezed orange juice and sometimes a tiny bit of oil)
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Louie Mueller's in Taylor has these, at least the last time I visited. Mighty tasty. Gonna have to get some from local meat market. @Cazzy, you think they'd be available at Granzin's or Penshorn's? Would love to cook some up tomorrow. Then again, I need to atone for last week's FUBAR ribs.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    6 years with an egg and have never done beef ribs.  Like packer briskets, they're not readily available around these parts, but I finally found a good source.  Now what to do with them?  Cook like pork ribs?  Rub? Finishing glaze? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!
    Like Travis said. If you take a sharp paring knife and cut the membrane off the less meaty end they will slide up the bone and bunch up. They will be much juicier that way

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    GQuiz said:

Louie Mueller's in Taylor has these, at least the last time I visited. Mighty tasty. Gonna have to get some from local meat market. @Cazzy, you think they'd be available at Granzin's or Penshorn's? Would love to cook some up tomorrow. Then again, I need to atone for last week's FUBAR ribs.

Don't know, but I called Cooper's Meat Market and they have them. They are Certified Angus Beef and run over $7 a pound. I love Coopers, especially their steaks, which are cut to order.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • whoops! watch for the F-bomb at the very end- sorry bout that. I turned it off right after the cooking part and didn't see it. If you are easily offended, I recommend you turn it off after the cooking part too! Funny, but definitely not for everyone.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Looks like I got some of the heavily &#^&!@ing trimmed ribs that @gdenby mentioned, so will have to pull the membrane and foil 'em after a few hours to ensure they don't turn to #&*)!

Great $!**()#*(ing video BTW.
    Mamaroneck
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    whoops! watch for the F-bomb at the very end- sorry bout that. I turned it off right after the cooking part and didn't see it. If you are easily offended, I recommend you turn it off after the cooking part too! Funny, but definitely not for everyone.
    Truer words were never spoken, CT. F-bomb or not.
  • I can't stop watching it. Great video and so true to TX. "I don't use no G--Damn foil" I'm doing brisket and beef ribs for Fathers Day  :D
  • SmokeyPitt
    I was really confused about how to properly slice brisket,but this vid cleared it up.  

To make slices, just slice it...

Genius! 
    ^#(^

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2013
    Posted pics of my cook few days ago, cooked the short ribs again yesterday. Easy stuff

Cooked em 250-275 3 hrs no wrapping came out just fine
    Seattle, WA
  • Mama Roneck
    I was really confused about how to properly slice brisket,but this vid cleared it up.  

To make slices, just slice it...

Genius! 
    ^#(^

The video was nominally about BBQ, and yet had nothing to do with BBQ.  Still trying to digest the meta message.  Film buffs will be dissecting it for years to come.
    Mamaroneck
  • SmokeyPitt
    This sheds some light on it:

:)

• Mama Roneck
    edited June 2013
    So I cooked beef ribs for the first time today.

Rubbed with salt and pepper...

Then on the egg indirect at 275...

Done after about 5 hours - 1st time using my new $25 swinging gizmo and $9 grate too! Best $34 I've spent this month.

They were delicious, so many thanks for the advice.  However, not sure I'll do these again because they just weren't very meaty - I'll need to look around to see if I can find better cuts here in NY - any ideas welcome.
    Mamaroneck
  • Those are finger ribs (cut from ribeyes). I just got the same thing even though I called and specifically asked for chuck ribs. Chuck ribs have like 3/4 pound of meat on each bone. Like a giant meat-cicle. I'm going to find chuck ribs in the Am. I'll cook these finger ribs too but I can tell they aren't what I'm after.
  • Mama Roneck
    edited June 2013
    That explains it.  I think these would be good if I were making beef stock - in fact, may just do that with the leftovers.  Will have to look around for chuck ribs.
    Mamaroneck
  • SkinnyV
    edited June 2013
    Bad batch of ribs. Don't let it deter you, if you like the meat then get some short ribs.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    4 outside guys are short ribs, 2 racks are good cut of beef.
    Seattle, WA