Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite BBQ Sauce???

Options
I'm do a bunch of ribs this weekend, and I started to obsess with what BBQ sauce to serve.  The guest list will have several folks that do not like spicy foods, so I'm looking for something with little heat factor.  I'm limited to grocery store brands in the Los Angeles area.  I've been partial to the Original Sweet Baby Rays in the past.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    My favorite sauce is bourbon. But my ribs like sweet baby rays or Stubbs.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My favorite BBQ sauce is Bessinger's BBQ Sauce(Thomas, not the other brothers) Second would be Eastern Carolina Mop sauce. Then Blues Hog or Bone Sucking Sauce. I keep Sweet Baby Rays available for guests, just in case.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If you're having guests, go with SBR. Pretty much everyone likes it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Head country, blues hog and tasty licks secret sauce even converted my son to those over sweet baby rays and sticky fingers is pretty decent
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I like to make my own but we also use Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I don't know how regional it is .. but I like Butcherblock Sauce out of Boston .. It can be salty, so I cut it with bone sucking.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Sticky fingers or bone sucking

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Sweet Baby Rays for most bang for your buck sauce. Sam's and local retailers routinely have it at 99 cents/16oz bottles.  I like Bone Sucking or Desperado (Ohio) when I'm just serving myself or really want to impress.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Sweet Baby Ray's on  bbribs and chicken
    Jack Stack on brisket  and PulledPork ( I still have a pretty good stash from when I moved from there 4 yrs ago.)

Good steaks don't need "sauce"
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    For an off-the-shelf bottled sauce, I am a believe in Stubb's Original.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013
    Options

2 racks are on the large as we speak. Fresh not frozen. DP on one and BSS rub on the other. Will prolly go with SBR. Its been 2 hours and could not wait. Have a small clutch of wings on the small with raging river. That's what the little boss wanted.

Guiness and watchin the wings. I am off this weekend. Life is so good.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    Options
    What about for a vinegar based one? Tennessee Red?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sweet Baby Ray' s  :-&

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Blues Hog! That stuff is dynamite. 

I also just tried the Bone Suckin' Hot and it's good but Blues Hog is better. 

I have not yet tried (but fully intend to) a mix of the two, maybe 60/40 or 70/30 BH/BS

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    If you want the best home made BBQ sauce on the planet, let me know.

Developed by Bill Cannon, owner of TexasBBQRub.com

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigphil
    Options

If you ewant the best home made BBQ sauce on the planet, let me know.

Developed by Bill Cannon, owner of TexasBBQRub.com

Do tell please
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options

BBQ Sauce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bill Cannon

Ingredients:

1 28 oz. bottle Hunt's Ketchup

1 19 oz. bottle Jack Daniel's Honey Smokehouse BBQ Sauce

1 can Rotel, Mexican Lime & Cilantro

1 medium Onion , chopped

2 tablespoons Garlic, minced

2 cups Brown sugar, or 1 c Splenda Brown 

1/2 cup Texas BBQ Rub

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons Mustard, Yellow prepared

1/4 cup Chili powder

1/2 cup Pineapple juice

2 bottles Water, from Empty ketchup bottle

1 can Water, from empty Rotel can

1 bottle Water, from empty BBQ sauce bottle

Directions:

1. Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel and chili powder in a large pot.  Start cooking on the stove at medium temp.  Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way).  Stir in garlic and brown sugar .  Stir in the rub.  Add the chopped onion, worchestershire sauce, and mustard.  Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.  Add pineapple juice.  Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better).  I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.

2. Serve as a side dish for those who ask for it.  Use it in the brisket recipe.

3. Makes about 4 quarts.  You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve.  Keeps for days in the frig.

4. For BBQ sauce for pork, delete the Rotel and put in 1 can of Peach Nectar. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Southern Soul Barbecue Sauce a local quality joint whose 4 sauces are available nationally at Crate & Barrel
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

beteez said:
    Southern Soul Barbecue Sauce a local quality joint whose 4 sauces are available nationally at Crate & Barrel
    That place is on my bucket list.  Are you from the area?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigphil
    Options
    @village idiot. Thanks!!!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

BBQ Sauce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bill Cannon

That sounds great Gary...thanks for sharing!  That recipe should make a bucket of sauce!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013
    Options

@Village Idiot, Ty so much. It ought to be near perfect as it can ever be, commin from you. You do have good taste.

I am going to downsize that and see if I can fill just a couple of squeeze bottles at a time. Maybe I should just rinse out and reuse my BBQ bottles. Especially the big ass SBRs.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options

beteez said:
    That place is on my bucket list.  Are you from the area?  
    About 3 minute drive door to door
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    sorry I can't help, I'm only down with the spicy stuff
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    My family likes the apple butter bbq sauce from montanas