Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Ribs 3-1-1 method

You can do 3-1.5-1

You can do 3-1-.5

This is 3-1-1

Just follow this and you will see exactly how to do this method and produce the desired results you want.  If you are looking for the 'fall off the bone' type of rib then this is probably for you!  This is a quick picture tutorial for the process I used when I cooked ribs back in 2004.  I still pretty much do the same thing today!  Its evolved a little bit here and there.  But the foundation is the same.  Last year I cooked 6 full racks for Fathers Day.  This way.  I still had Aunts and Uncles asking me if I boiled first.  That's like nails on a chalk board!!

Step 1.  Lay out your ribs and admire them like I do here:

Step 2.  You have to get off the membrane on the underside so you expose the meat.  Otherwise, you are just seasoning the membrane.  And eating it is tough!  This part takes a little practice.  Get one end with a paper towel and work it free.  Once free it just peels off like this:

Note:  here is one more picture.  The rack on the left has the membrane off.  The rack on the right has it on.  You can clearly see the difference.  Right?  The meat is now showing on the rack to the left with the membrane removed.  That's what I want to season!!

Step 3.  Season it.  There are lots of methods to this part.  I'm keeping it simple and using a rub on both sides.  Stacking them then wrapping them.  They will then spend the night in the fridge to season.

Step 4.  Next day stabilize your egg to 250.  Here I have a PS with legs up, drip pan with nothing in it, and the BGE V Rack.  Notice I could have fit one more full rack to the far left?  I've done that before.  And put 3 more racks layed on top of the V Rack.  So I've done 9 full racks on my Large before.

This is the 3 in the 3-1-1.  They go at 250 for 3 hours.  I rotate 180 degrees every hour.

Step 5.  Next is the first 1 in the 3-1-1.  I put the ribs in foil for 1 hour.  Some folks prefer 1.5 hours if they want them fall off the bone.  I may go that long if the ribs are super meaty.  2 hours here and you may turn them to mush.  EWWWWW!  I won't go past 1.5 hours no matter what!

Step 6.  Take the ribs out of the foil after 1-1.5 hours.  Whatever your preference.  The ribs actually steam in the foil.  That's what tenderizes them and makes them 'fall off the bone.'  Use some gloves please!!!!  I burn my hands enough with high temp cooks.  I don't need to do it this way, too!!

Step 7.  Here's the last 1 in the 3-1-1.  You want the ribs after steaming in the foil to set up a bit.  In the pictures here I keep my setup indirect for this part.  Today, I'd take out the PS and put the ribs on direct for only 30 minutes.  Turning every 5-10 minutes while saucing.  You will notice there is no char on these.  Even plated on the table.  Well, I've found an appreciation for the char.  You only get that with direct cooking at this point.  If you don't want the char then do what I did here.  Either way, enjoy!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cleveland, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments