Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib for Fathers Day

robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,795
I am going to cook a prime rib for fathers day.  I have cooked them before indirect @ 350.

They have come out good but missing some more flavor.  I have usually just used salt/pepper.

Should I put any sort of rub on instead?  I have DP Cow Lick, Red Eye Express, Tsunami and Ragging River.  I have Chicago street from Perzies as well (great for steak).  If I use Cow lick - Should I use allot? 

Shove garlic inside? 

Planning on fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs all over as well.

I am getting the bones cut off but tied to the roast.  Bone side up/down - dont matter?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635
    edited June 2013

i would use kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and some fresh rosemary.  Pull the bones back and season behind them then tie back on.  I go bones down for some added insulation but doubt it makes much difference indirect.  i would let the meat speak and not use any rubs but that's personal choice.  FWIW-regardless gonna be great eats!

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,775
    I'm in the salt and pepper only camp.  And I'd cook it at as low a temp as you can maintain, maybe a little oak if you want some smoke, but I just go straight lump.

Buy some beef consomme for the au jus - add any juice you get from carving it.  And a horseradish sauce is a requirement.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,350
    edited June 2013
    Agree with what has been said. You may want to cook it at a lower temp as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I third.  I cook at a lower temp with minimal seasoning. Salt and pepper.  Although I have in the past shoved a bunch of garlic cloves in between the bone and meat.  Unnecessary... but pretty unreal delicious. I think the prime rib purist would probably disagree though.  I don't usually do it that way.  Also I cook bone down.  Another thing I do some times if I am doing a real small one, like 2 or 3 bones, is to sear it before roasting.  Seems like it locks the juice in a little better.  The down side is you then have to cool the egg back down.  
    ·
  • FlyingTivoFlyingTivo Posts: 341
    Slow down dude!!!
    280ºF with Red Eye 
    128ºF in the centre
    135º on the Edges

This was a 17lbs beast!
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,795
    OK - I can go lower temp.  ~250?  How long per lb then?  I think we got a 4 ribber.  Just want an idea on when to put it on.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,350
    edited June 2013
    Roughly 25 minutes per pound at 250* That only applies if the length and diameter are approximately equal or shorter. If it is longer it will be less.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,665
    This was the best Prime Rib I have cooked so far. Took about 25 minutes per pound for this 5 pounder. I could have cooked it lower but we were hungry...

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·