Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Ole Smoky Moonshine

BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673

Has anyone ever tried it?  Specifically the Cherries?  Worth trying to get some for summer BBQs?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• jack8820
    jack8820 Posts: 5
    Excellent choice.  The versions with fruit are much better than plain. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    I haven't tried it but I have tried some GA bottled pre-packaged shine.  IMO it is somewhat of a gimmick since it is only 40 proof.  I've had some real shine made by real hillbillies :)...and that stuff will kick you on your arse.  I feel like the GA stuff I bought was cheap vodka someone put in a jar.

...but the old smoky might be more legit. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I have some homemade Grappa which is basically Italian moonshine.  Proofs out at 180.  Put up some cherries and grapes with it a few yews ago and they are fruit bombs.  About 3 seconds after eating one the volcano goes off in your chest.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Here's the description from their website:

OLE SMOKY® MOONSHINE CHERRIES
    A party in a jar!· Ole Smoky’s® Moonshine Cherries are an Appalachian party tradition. Each jar is hand-filled with fresh maraschino cherries soaked in Ole Smoky’s® 100 proof moonshine. Each cherry says a sweet hello followed by a warm goodbye. Once the cherries have disappeared, enjoy the remaining Cherry Moonshine straight up or create the ultimate Cherry Coke or Shirley Temple. Pick up a jar of Ole Smoky’s® Moonshine Cherries on your way to any party or simply keep them all to yourself. Good day? Have a cherry. Bad day? Have a cherry.

My SWMBO is going to Gattlinburg in a couple weeks - so I'm going to see if she can get some for her duty free allowance.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm assuming it's not real moonshine...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got some from a buddy locally here in GA and its hard to drink. I am gonna try the apple pie moonshine recipe from egging in the mountains. This stuff has to be 150 proof. A couple sips and you can feel your body warming up.