Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No-knead pizza results

Options
In another thread I ran across this recipe for no-knead pizza, cooked in a cast iron pan.

It was accompanied by New York style red and white sauce recipes. 

Last night it all came together. In short it's a good dough recipe and I got a very nice result cooking at about 500F in a 10" cast iron pan. 

The white sauce was surprisingly good--I had never had it before and was not sure what to expect. I didn't have ricotta, so the white pie was topped with mozzarella, black olives, and chicken breast that I had previously skewered, seasoned, and cooked on the egg. The chicken was done up simply with pepper, truffle salt, and granulated garlic, and was pretty darn good on its own. 

The red pie was topped with mozzarella, black olives, and pepperoni. The red sauce was good, but didn't blow me away. My usual technique is using tomato sauce + tomato paste + pressed garlic + herbs and I might prefer doing it that way. I'll give the cooked sauce a try with another brand of canned tomatoes. I had to cook it in a 9" round cake pan because I do not have a second 10" cast iron. The crust was not as good, a little under cooked, but I think that fully cooked crust is within reach, even without cast iron. I just misjudged and pulled it too early. 

I do not like working with dough and so I will definitely do this no-knead thing again. The pies were both good, and the equal of almost anything I've bought. 

Comments

• nineee
    nineee Posts: 41
    Options
    Nice.  Been meaning to try a pie in CI.  What kind of glove do you use to lift the CI off the Egg? I have Weber grill gloves and the heat went right through when I lifted the pan.  Had to put it down fast. nineee
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've made that no knead pizza dough...results were fine, but we like the crunchy caputo tipo 00 dough and that's mostly what I make.
    Options
    I plan to try the no-knead method with 00 flour, and a thin crust. I don't see any reason why I couldn't just use less dough in the 10" CI and make a thinner, crunchier crust too. 

Neneee, the CI was a real #@^& to handle. I have welding gloves and they are simply not good enough to hold the hot pan for more than a few moments. I made a workspace on a table outside, moved the pan there as quickly as possible, and then levered the pie out with a spatula. It detached cleanly, which was great. 

Next time I use CI in the Egg, I will try Ov Gloves PLUS blue silicone Orka mitts--just thought of that combo. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Those look really, really awesome! Everything I have tried from Kenji has been very good. That NY sauce recipe is my favorite - so far anyway. Thanks for the link to the white sauce. I hadn't seen that one.

For "gloves" I just use two hot pads, both folded, cuz I'm a wuss. :)

If you don't like messing with dough and would like to try a Chicago Deep Dish, you might consider this recipe. Mix dough ingredients with a spoon, knead for 2 minutes or less, wait an hour or so, spread dough in a cake pan. Note, I have done this twice using the recipe for a 9" pan. Next time, I will use the 10" recipe for the 9" pan. I don't think the 9" recipe gives you quite enough dough.

Also, check his main page for other info. He has a video on making the dough. It really is that quick.  http://www.realdeepdish.com

I did one on the egg, the other in the oven. They both were excellent and looked like this.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    @horseflesh thanks for the info and the links.  Your pies are look really good....going to have to try the white sauce one
    @Micheal Dayum those pies look delish.  Thanks for the links
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thx, Joan, pics are all of the same pie. :) Really happy with that recipe. From a bag of flour to sitting down to eat... 2 hours max.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Carolina_Q, Have you tried that recipe with the 6-24 rest? If so, any improvement in flavor?
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Eggcelsior said: @Carolina_Q, Have you tried that recipe with the 6-24 rest? If so, any improvement in flavor?

Nope. One of the things I like about it is not having to wait. 
    I DO do that for most other styles, but the recipe for this one doesn't call for it. Maybe one of these days, I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty happy with it this way. 

The other thing I like about it is the recipe makes only one pie. My others all make 3-4 dough balls and I'm always tempted to have a pizza 3-4 nights in a row!  :\">

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Eggcelsior said:
    @Carolina_Q, Have you tried that recipe with the 6-24 rest? If so, any improvement in flavor?

Nope. One of the things I like about it is not having to wait. I DO do that for most other styles, but the recipe for this one doesn't call for it. Maybe one of these days, I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty happy with it this way. 

The other thing I like about it is the recipe makes only one pie. My others all make 3-4 dough balls and I'm always tempted to have a pizza 3-4 nights in a row!  :\">
    Cool. My go to is the Kenji/CI 4-day cold rise. I haven't done a deep dish yet. Time to try!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I use Kenji's NY dough, NY sauce and pan pizza recipes. Good stuff. Gotta try that clam pie he put up on Slice the other day. I have a Frank Pepe's shop only 5 miles from my house and I still haven't been there. It's a branch of the original New Haven store, so it may not be quite the same, but Pepe's in NH is where that pie originated.

If you like deep dish, I'm told by a couple of Chicago guys that the realdeepdish recipe is the real deal. Authentically without cornmeal too. Next time, I need to add garlic to the sausage!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I have about 3 lbs of fresh italian sausage in my freezer. I'm thinking of doing a sausage fest pie. Without the bro's standing around the keg since there are no chicks at the party.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    sorry I didn't intend to hit the disagree button.  good looking pizza