Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken Recipe?

Howdy all-

I'm planning on doing some Jerk Chicken on Saturday night, and am wondering if anyone has a great authentic Jerk marinade recipe?

I've scanned the web, and there are alot of variations out there, looking for tried and tested.

I don't want to start with a pre made rub, I'd like to do it all from scratch and have a wet rub.

Any opinions would be great!

FYI, going to be serving with Rice and Peas and going to try my hand at frying some festival!!

Cheers,

Cheech

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @cheech5001... I've got a jerk sauce recipe at home... I'll post it on here tonight.

What is "frying some festival"?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Here's a great jerk recipe I've used in the past on a spatch'ed chicken or just thighs.  I got it from here in the forum a few years ago but I've lost track of who posted it.  To whomever this belongs to, let me know and I'll give credit where credit is due.

Be warned though.  The last time I made this I used 8 habeneros with seeds.  It was really hot.  You may want to tame it down a little depending on your heat threshold.

For a large batch of the jerk marinade I put in a blender:

8-12 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Habenero can sub., Seeded for less heat, or only 1 pepper if really mild)

1 large bunch green onion (or two small  bunches)

1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme (dried will do)

3 Shallots (or half an onion)

6 Cloves garlic

1 small chunk ginger (less an inch)

3 Teaspoons Allspice (or the equivalent of whole pimentos)

1 Teaspoon Cinnamon 

1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg

3 Teaspoon Soy Sauce

2 Teaspoon Sea Salt

1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper

1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar

1/4 cup Canola oil

Juice from one lime

Blend it all up until it looks like a really healthy smoothy.

Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    edited June 2013
    @texanofthenorth - Festival is a fried Jamaican bread that we always enjoy when in Jamaica.

• TexanOfTheNorth

@texanofthenorth - Festival is a fried Jamaican bread that we always enjoy when in Jamaica.

Here is a link Festival
    Thanks. Never heard of it. Unfortunately, your link refers back to your post (that won't stop me from doing a Google search through).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I tried to insert the link, but it didn't seem to work...

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

This is a recipe I took from a restaurant I worked at when I was a youngin'. We had a Jamaican guy come in and say that this was the best jerk he has had in Canada. At that point I wrote it down and have used it since. I have a food rep that is Jamaican that said it was good too. I have never had real Jerk in Jamaica so I have nothing to compare it to. Here it is. Yes its for a commerial kitchen so the volumes are large.

16 yellow onions

8 bunches of green onion

2 cups jalapenos

5 cups garlic cloves

1/3 cup allspice

1/3 cup crushed chilies

1/3 cups sugar

1 tbsp dry mustard

2 cups balsamic vinegar

4 cups orange juice

2 cups lemon juice

2 cups oyster sauce

1/3 cup dried mint

1/3 cup dried thyme

2 tbsp black pepper

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 tbsp salt

Marinate the chicken overnight. Works great on pork too.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    I tried to insert the link, but it didn't seem to work...

Funny... that's exactly the same link I found doing a Google search. Thanks!
    When I ran out of my Walkerswood or Grace Jerk marinades bought from my local Wal*Mart, I made a batch of fresh jerk marinade from the following recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/jamaican-jerk-marinade-204926

Turned out very good. I did increase the heat level by adding 6 Scoth Bonnets.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • cheech5001
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I will post the cook on Saturday!
  • cheech5001
    @fljoemon How hot was it with the 6 scotch bonnets?

I have kiddies to consider...

Thanks
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    +1 Did this one a few times for wings..they were awesome.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • vtsmoker
    vtsmoker Posts: 7
    If you don't know scotch bonnet and you put that many in your recipe hang on. This is one great pepper but have some serious respect. The flaver is great but the fire is intense. Makes one whale of a jam. Rates high on the scovile scale.  Enjoy
  • cheech5001
    That's what I was thinking.
    I think I may just do 1 pepper with seeds.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    I'm sure you know that the seeds pack a lot of the heat.

Sorry @cheech5001, I forgot to post my jerk sauce recipe last night but, it's pretty similar to the others that have already been posted here.
    I do know that, and have used lots of other peppers in the past, but never scotch bonnet.  I am trying to determine whether one with the seeds will result in a good but not overwhelming heat.
    I am planning on using one of the jerk marinades listed here, which I read makes three cups of marinade.

Can anyone suggest if one pepper with seeds is a good idea?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    @cheech5001... hard to say. Obviously it will depend on what everyone's heat tolerance is. My suggestion would be to go without the seeds; if it's not hot enough everyone will still eat it. If it's too hot then you've got no recourse.

You could also make two batches of jerk sauce one with seeds and one without for a side-by-side comparison.
    got to go with texan on that; better to little than to much. Get to know this pepper. It can and will mess with folks. Not to say its not a perfect pepper, It is just one hot pepper that will leave you smiling or crying. It is not for the mild at heart. Bite into one seed and find out for yourself before wrecking it for the kids. Hate to see them hate jerk for the wrong reason.  Remember island jerk is enjoyed by folks raised on it. The tase is gained from years of tasting. Not one over the top experience. Hope this makes sense.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I use a marinade similar to wbradking.  I liked in Jamaica for a few years, and this will give a similar result.  Jerk is hot, and using 8-12 habaneros with the seeds is about right.  But I would back it off if you are not used to the heat.  Maybe just one or two, but I would leave the seeds in.  Grilling seems to remove some of the heat.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556

This is an outstanding marinade for any meat or fish.  Be aware that this is a rather spicy recipe.

Jamaican Jerk Marinade/Sauce

5 scallions (green onions)
    5 sprigs of fresh thyme (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
    2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Habanera)
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 onion
    1/2 cup orange juice
    2 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon grated ginger

Notes: If you’re using dried thyme, use about 1/2 table spoon. This makes about 3 cups of marinade and it can be stored in the fridge for about 1 month.

You will be making a puree with all the ingredients above. You will need a blender or food processor.

Rough chop the scallions, peppers, garlic, onion and thyme and place in the food processor to make it easier to puree. Remember when working with these hot peppers to wear gloves (the natural oil is deadly). Also note that most of the heat is within the seeds and the membrane that surround the seeds. So to control the heat, discard those. However, for that true authentic Jamaican feel... keep the entire peppers.

Now add all the other ingredients and pulse to start. Then run the puree speed for about 2-3 minutes until everything breaks down to a smooth consistency.

For best results use this sauce immediately, but marinate your meat for at least 2 hours before grilling or roasting in the oven or on the grill. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    @fljoemon How hot was it with the 6 scotch bonnets?

I have kiddies to consider...

Thanks

I would suggest don't incorporate the additional Scotch Bonnets. The kids surely wont like the heat :-)

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • cheech5001
    Thanks.

I'm going to go with one pepper with seeds.

Cheers.
  • SamFerrise
    Without the heat you may as well use a different marinade.  Jamaican rubs are traditionally spicy and not for the kiddies.  Make them something they can tolerate.

• cheech5001
    They have both eaten jerk from roadside jerk spots in Jamaica, so they can handle and enjoy that level of heat. I have only been trying to determine how many scotch bonnets will equal a decent amount, but not excessive heat. Recipes I am seeing call fora rande of 1-16 peppers, and having never cooked with them I am a bit lost.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2013
    @cheech5001... get yourself some disposable latex gloves before handling those peppers. My wife chopped one the other night (w/out gloves) for some mango salsa we were making. She washed her hands thoroughly afterwards but about 15 minutes later rubbed her eye and was in agony!
    @texanofthenorth - on it! I have a whole box.
  • SamFerrise
    I use 2 Habanero and 2 Serrano peppers with the seeds and it is quite hot.  You can substitute Jalapeno peppers to kick it down a notch.  

• qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Don't like Walkerswood?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    They have both eaten jerk from roadside jerk spots in Jamaica, so they can handle and enjoy that level of heat. I have only been trying to determine how many scotch bonnets will equal a decent amount, but not excessive heat. Recipes I am seeing call fora rande of 1-16 peppers, and having never cooked with them I am a bit lost.
    I would go with the lesser amount and get some Grace hot sauce. The seeds are hot but the membrane that supports the seeds is hotter so you will want to get that out too. Just had jerk pork for lunch at a new Jamaican place across the street and I had to use a half bottle of Grace to get it the way I like. Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are quite aways apart on flavour so use the real thing if you can get them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I am lazy when it comes to a jerk marinade. I find Walkerswood works quite well enough. Just make sure you do not use more than it says...it is atomic.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini