Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York eats

Furall
Furall Posts: 124
 Ok, leaving for NYC in the morning. I have searched and watched everything I could to try and isolate some good places to eat. Only one for sure I will try is Katz deli. Anyone else have any spots they want to throw in the hunt? Not looking for 100 a plate food just good and different from home. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Not a restaurant, but for cured / smoked fish to go (as well as extensive cheese and other gourmet foods), check out Zabar's on Broadway at W. 80th St.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    take yourself our for a nice steak to Peter Lugers its NY nothing is inexpensive
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Furall
     Heck yea @Mcstew that looks awesome. Going to call them tonight and see if I can get lucky on reservations. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • McStew
    PM me if you cant get a reservation
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Lugers is cash only - just a note.

Garnerville, NY
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    So, two thoughts: 

1).  I watched a program about the best burgers in the US and the host went to a steak house that served a Kobe burger that looked awesome.  Kind of unique I guess. 

2).  If you're into pizza, I've heard Lombardi's is awesome.  Check out this link about the 10 oldest pizzerias in NYC: http://www.businessinsider.com/oldest-pizza-places-in-new-york-city-2011-10?op=1

Have fun.  I've only been up there once.  It's an experience all right. 
  • Lombardi's pizza is quite good.  Cafe Habana (hole in the wall place) for Cubans, mexican street corn and sodas.  Pomme Frites (I think that is name)--large belguim french fries with a vast variety of dipping saueces.  Have fun
  • McStew
    @robnybbq almost forgot about the cash only thing .... I have the card
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374

Refills on drinks were extra when I was there. Want a refill, sure, got the bill was a surprise billed for each refill.. here where they are free. It was good for a laugh. Mountain hillbilly in the big apple. Love to revisit. Was a good time. But has been a few years, sorry cannot give any places. Have fun.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    There's a place I always hit up for Doner kebabs on the corner of Bleeker and Mcdougal. It's just a hole in the wall with 1 or 2 tables. $6 or 7 gets you a great kebab (huge) and a soda. Plus Greenwich is a great area for food/pubs/people watching.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited June 2013
    Sparks in midtown is good if you don't want to travel to Brooklyn for Lugers. Of course, everyone has their own 2¢ on the best NY steakhouse, so don't take my word for it.

Also go pretty much anywhere in Chinatown or head up to Arthur Ave in the Bronx for old school Italian. Washington Heights for Puerto Rican or Dominican cuisine. Lots of Neapolitan pizza joints all over now, most are decent. 9th Ave in Manhattan (Hells Kitchen) has almost any cuisine you can think of. You're spoilt for choice-enjoy!
    Mamaroneck
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Seriously? Lombardi's?! I ate there once and it was pretty bad. They ain't what they used to be. Would rather go to Pizza Hut!  If you want pizza, try Di Fara's in Midwood, Brooklyn (if you're not in a rush), Kesté (West Village, Manhattan) or Pauli Gee's (Greenpoint, Brooklyn). I haven't been to those, but they all get great reviews from the pizza snobs I know. :) All are on my list for when I do my pizza tour of the city. Wish Anthony Mangieri hadn't moved to San Francisco.

If you need a BBQ fix, try Blue Smoke in Manhattan. Good ribs. The owner moved to NY from, I believe, St. Louis.

As for Luger's, I thought you said you didn't want to break the bank. 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Furall
    Nice guys. Thanks for help. Putting together a game plan.
  • Furall
    If Lugers is good I will gladly pony up. That's one niche we don't have around here is elite steakhouses.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2013
    Don's Bogam in Koreatown is awesome. Korean BBQ. My son and I were 1 of 5 tables of gringos in a sea of Koreans. It was a great meal and experience. Pics are on the forum somewhere.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Found it: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1272743#Comment_1272743 Peter Lugars is world class. Don's is probably not but it's awesome and a bit off the beaten path. Depending on what you are looking for, you can't lose
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I love Korean food....they love BBQ. It's healthy and diverse.  Tried calling you a couple of times, hoser.  I'll catch up with ya at some time.  I need to go check on my buddy in my shop who's designing a prototype computer/high speed camera system to track small weapons training for the military - cool project.  I'll post a pic.
    So what is up with the site?  Haven't been here in awhile and when I post I get a 'post will appear when approved' return to site message.  The posts never show up.  I can comment however...thoughts? Glitch?  Been trying for a week.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2013

sorry, had to delete the pic, might be proprietary information

I love soup dumplings, and very reasonable.  NYC has some of the best anywhere.  Try either Joe's Shanghai or Shanghai Cafe.  The best, you will love them.  I could eat them all day long. 

• @thebtls it's a software glitch. Very frustrating but it happens to many of us from time to time. It's usually when you quote someone. You can either copy and paste to a new comment box or log out and back in at it should go away.

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    +1 on k-town. Most of the Korean BBQ joints are on West 32nd St near Herald Sq.

And great call on the soup dumplings too. Might want to consider going out to Flushing Queens for those. And on your way back on the 7 train, stop in Jackson Heights for some Indian.
    Mamaroneck
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Stay away from Little Italy, time square restaurants.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I think for pizza I still say Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is still above the rest.