Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Ribeye

Options
Tried My Hand At A Steak Tonight.... Cooked Raised Direct At 350 For 6 Minutes A Side, Then Pulled The Raised Rack And Tried A Reverse Sear... The Steak Came Out Tasty, But Not Much For A Sear Mark....
Rowlett, Texas

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Searing is for show, taste is what you are looking for and that looks good.  If you care about how it looks you will get it figured out soon.  Me I might have a picture worthy steak once every three months and I typically cook them twice a week. Doesn't matter what it looked like as long as it tasted good.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Did you bump the temp up for the sear?
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Options
    Crank the temp up for the sear, and try using a cast iron pan/skillet.
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    Thx For The Tips.... I Left The Lid Open Trying To Bring The Temp Up... The Royal Oak Im Using Had Bunch Of Small Chunks, It Doesnnt Seem To Get Hot fast
    Rowlett, Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It's a little harder to do without cast iron...you really have to let the grid heat up for a while.  Like others mentioned...you can't taste the grill marks ;)

I have the old style porcelain grids so I'm not sure if the stainless are better or worse for transferring the heat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.