Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

in need of asparagus recipe

Hey all.  I am in need of an asparagus recipe.  easy prep, and tasty.  thx  K

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    I always just put some olive oil in a pan, salt, pepper and garlic or garlic powder.  good stuff.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    wrap in prosciutto, a little oil and roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • busmania said:
    I always just put some olive oil in a pan, salt, pepper and garlic or garlic powder.  good stuff.

+1

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Marinate in 50/50 soy sauce and water for a couple hours.  Can do direct or indirect, just need to pay more attention when direct.

Do at 350-400 for 5 to 10 minutes.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150985/lamb-chops

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    To me simple is better with asparagus.

I like just the heads with only a little bit of the stalk.  I wash it and put it in a baggie.  To the baggie I add olive all, kosher salt, coarse ground pepper and sesame seeds.  Toss until well coated.  Cook over direct heat, in a grill wok, until done.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Try 50/50 lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce, a little sugar and a dash of olive oil roast at medium heat. Pierce the shaft (!) with a pairing knife. They're done when there's no resistance.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I always put some olive oil and butter in a pan, salt, pepper and garlic. When there almost done add a squeeze of lemon juice.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    This recipe is pre-BGE for me and I have not adapted it yet to the egg but it's a great recipe and simple. Please excuse my standard oven method. Turn broiler on. Spray baking sheet with canola oil spray. Lay asparagus out in a single layer on the sheet. Spray the asparagus lightly with the canola oil spray. Sprinkle finely grated Parmesan cheese over the asparagus. Broil 4 inches from the burner for 8-10 minutes.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I always put some olive oil and butter in a pan, salt, pepper and garlic. When there almost done add a squeeze of lemon juice.

You can get the same flavor without discoloration if you use the zest of the lemon. I also prefer using an infused oil, such as orange.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    +1 on @Probe1957 that is exactly how I do mine.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Use the biggest you can find. Peel the stalk like a carrot or cucumber--make some stripes in other words. Marinate in oil, lemon, fresh garlic, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Grill direct and get some char. Marinade makes a good dressing as well. Really helps the sugars come out when you score the stalk!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

I hit with a little EVOO, some garlic salt and pepper, then put it direct on the BGE for a few minutes - No need for a pan. Quick, easy, and good.

Milton, GA.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280

I marinade mine in soy, siracha, and sesame oil for a few hours in a ziplock.  Grill until tender and then roll in some toasted sesame seeds. 

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    EVOO and swamp venom, then grill, serve with side of melted butter to pour on when plated
    Pentwater, MI
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    EVOO and a little salt.  Direct at about 450, flip once.  Let it get a little brown and eat about 7 lbs of it.  Then for the next day you will remember you ate asparagus every time you go to the bathroom :))
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I use garlic infused olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay on egg perpendicular to the grates. Easy as pie
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    will you be cooking asparagus at the owosso fest on saturday??
  • Wow. I never knew there were so many ways. Awesome. Thanks for all the ideas. @rickg, yes I will be.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I put mine on a plate and put a couple pads of butter on top and then into the microwave for a minute just long enough to melt the butter. Toss them all around to coat with butter then hit it with Susie q's and pepper. Then grill direct to how you like it. We like them pretty charred so I do them at high heat so they aren't on long enough to get soggy.
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    cool!!  I will have to try some.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Chubbs said:
    I use garlic infused olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay on egg perpendicular to the grates. Easy as pie
    Damn, Chubbs, No wonder mine kept falling through the grate!
    Milton, GA.
  • Harmening
    Harmening Posts: 35
    I like to blanch the asparagus, then toss it in ice water.
    When dinner is ready, I will heat a pan with butter, salt and pepper.
    Toss the asparagus in that butter for a minute.  
    Wonderful, tasty, and tender crisp.

Many times, I will add julienned carrots and leek shreds to the mix.
    Absolutely delicious...
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    We are simply over run with asparagus this year.  Our bed is about 8 years old and is really starting to produce.  All of the above recipes are winners and I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.  I made this dish at my brothers last weekend.  It was pouring rain and I must admit I used the side burner of his Weber under the covered deck.

I lightly steamed the asparagus about seven minutes and then tossed it in an ice bath.  I then sauteed some garlic in olive oil and added the asparagus for a couple of minutes.  Next I added three eggs, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  Browned on the first side and then flipped until done.  Served with some toasted baguette.  It's not real pretty, but it sure tasted good!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Marinate in LOTS of balsamic with a little EVOO. Direct hot fire. Get it browned.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited June 2013
    Quick and easy 
    Brush with EVOO salt & Pepper toss em on the grill (I use SS basket) when there almost done sprinkle with some coarse grated Parmesan. These are a hit every time in our house