Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bulk smoking chunks

Anyone have a good place online to buy bulk smoking chunks?  Tired of buying 5lb bags.  Any help appreciated. 
XLBGE, LBGE, 2 Superior SS-2 gravity feed smokers;  Medford Lakes NJ
·

Comments

• GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273

Fruitawoodchunks.com  Great product and free shipping. Lots of choices too!

·
  • Thanks!
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,414
    I order from this guy. He is local to north Georgia and its always good clean wood and he will cut to the size you want.
    http://joesbbqwood.com/
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,475
    I usually just drive around after a storm with a chainsaw and some gloves.

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    +1 for Fruitawood
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I never realized how many commercial wood suppliers there are in my area, but then where do all the restaurants get their wood??  I found one guy who has six different types of wood.  When i run out of pecan, i will order a pallet load from them, cost $160./ i pick it up.  That is about three foot high and five foot square and will last me two years+.  I will have to cut it into smaller pieces or what WE call chunks...
    ·
  • Lit said:
    I order from this guy. He is local to north Georgia and its always good clean wood and he will cut to the size you want. http://joesbbqwood.com/
    Thanks!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,447
    Look for any orchards in your area, and ask when they trim trees. You may even be able to score it for free.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,414

Lit said:

I order from this guy. He is local to north Georgia and its always good clean wood and he will cut to the size you want.
    http://joesbbqwood.com/

Thanks!

No problem. If you happen to live in the area he works at the bass pro shops in Gwinnett. I always meet him there to save on shipping.
    ·
  • DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 231
    I just scored three 50 gallon drums of cherry from a friend who is a big time woodworker. Most of it just kiln dried and straight into his shop. That should hold me over for a long time (at least with cherry).
    ·
  • Dave in FloridaDave in Florida Posts: 793
    edited June 2013
    Also give Craigslist a try. Got a box of pecan and cherry that my brother found for $5.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • Home Depot has 20lb bags for $17.00
    ·
  • bobbymcGbobbymcG Posts: 13
    Does anyone have a particular rec for Central Texas?
    ·