Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introducing "The Baller" - stay-cool intake vent mod

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
I may have posted this earlier - my apologies if I did, but @Mickey asked for a separate thread. And what Mickey wants... Mickey gets. Or else he won't let me into Salado next year, even worse he may not cut me a deal on the Toyota truck of my dreams :)

The newer LBGE's have a rubber/silicone cover on the intake vent tab which takes away the sharp edge of the steel, and stays cool to the touch. I wanted something similar for my small and mini eggs, that would make it easier to adjust the intake setting.

Took a 1/4" carriage bolt and a phenolic ball knob (available from Amazon and McMaster-Carr, I believe). Took the sliding vent panel off, and drilled a hole in the tab. Screwed on the nuts to keep it in place. Screwed on the ball knob at the other end. Bent the tab forward a bit for clearane, a little more on the mini to clear the Carten.

Easy peasy. Did this for the small and the mini. Makes adjusting the intake easier since the knob is larger then the little tab. Plus it keeps your fingers away from the hot base of the egg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    Speaking of mods, @Solson005 - you had posted a pic some time back about a bottle cap catcher you added to your small EggCarten. How did you attach it, and where did you buy it from?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That is so cool. Thank you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    But I enjoyed the threads that would pop up every now and again with somebody complaining about slicing their finger off due to the razor sharp tab!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

Why not a "cinch" bolt?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    YEMTrey said:
    But I enjoyed the threads that would pop up every now and again with somebody complaining about slicing their finger off due to the razor sharp tab!
    well, that's one way of being able to identify a stolen egg...DNA fingerprinting!

Why not a "cinch" bolt?

because I don't know what that is :)

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My mini has the rubber tab, but still might add this mod.... althought I am sorry you voided your warranty :ar!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    You should just make up a bunch and sell them for $XX.00
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    @Chubbs - that's okay. The ss vent panel is the last thing I expect to break. Now that I've said that, watch it disinegrate as soon as I get home today!

My mini has the new handle and the lighter gray gasket, so I thought it was a later model,  but maybe they added the tab later. When did you buy yours?

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Cool mod!  Does the knob get hot?  It looks like the nut is touching the vent panel.. Just wondering.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • caliking
    Cool mod!  Does the knob get hot?  It looks like the nut is touching the vent panel.. Just wondering.
    No, the knob does not get hot at all.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2013
    Nice mod...

I roll stock on the frame. Hi que in the mini..
    Oops I have a Rutland on the mini too

Large is stock..
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    @SkinnyV: did the HiQue make a big difference in the mini? I seem to be able to hit high temps pretty easily. Was not the case with my small so I got the HiQue for that one. 

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Mickey said:

You should just make up a bunch and sell them for $XX.00

Group buy!
    Mamaroneck
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Sell the idea to mangrates?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    caliking said:

@SkinnyV: did the HiQue make a big difference in the mini? I seem to be able to hit high temps pretty easily. Was not the case with my small so I got the HiQue for that one. 

Other than really burning all the lump I don't remember having an issue. If you are fine I say hold off.

My large is great with the stock grate wont be changing it.

Seattle, WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    caliking said:

@Chubbs - that's okay. The ss vent panel is the last thing I expect to break. Now that I've said that, watch it disinegrate as soon as I get home today!

My mini has the new handle and the lighter gray gasket, so I thought it was a later model,  but maybe they added the tab later. When did you buy yours?
    Had mine a month or two.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Real Men burn their fingers and have another beer.   :P

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Wait... @mickey is a Toyota dealer in GST too?

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    Smart men have unburnt fingers and can still FEEL the beer they're holding. :)

• Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    @SmokeyPitt sorry to tell you but I clicked on disagree while scrolling down on my iPhone. Wish I could take it back but I can't. I would have given it 2 thumbs up!
  • Mickey

Wait... @mickey is a Toyota dealer in GST too?

Yes. GM in Killeen. Who/where are you?

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @SmokeyPitt sorry to tell you but I clicked on disagree while scrolling down on my iPhone. Wish I could take it back but I can't. I would have given it 2 thumbs up!
    No prob man ;).  I'm sure I have had a stray disagree here and there myself. I will just flag you as a troll for good measure :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Deviledegger you can take it away if you are on a computer or mobile device as far as I know.  I know I can on my laptop and phone, just click disagree again and it should go away. One of the few things on Vanilla that can be edited once it is submitted.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Deviledegger
    @Scottborasjr Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure what would happen so i just explained my case. Lol
  • Deviledegger

No prob man ;).  I'm sure I have had a stray disagree here and there myself. I will just flag you as a troll for good measure :P
    That's funny. I like that!
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    what about that plastic dip stuff that home depot sells for coating bare metal plier handles and such... dip the handle tab in that stuff... it dries and bingo... rubberized coated tabs for the screen and slider door
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I like it! How easy is it to take the door off? I swap out the door with the adapter for my digiQ quite often so I am ok with just the loose door from the factory, but I do like this. 

As far as the bottle catcher it is just a rare earth magnet I didn't know if I wanted to make it a permanent part of my eggCarten so I just used painters tape to see if it was strong enough to catch bottle caps. I would probably order a stronger one that is smaller if I were to actually use silicone or drill a hole to attach with a bolt. But it works pretty good, I already had the magnet so I am not sure how many pounds it is supposed to hold. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    @jimreed777: that would probably work too. I had the parts I needed lying around the garage. The ball knob is bigger than the tab on the mini vent panel though, so is a little easier to hold. 

@Deviledegger - I have been guilty of the same. No worries :)

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Solson005 said:
    I like it! How easy is it to take the door off? I swap out the door with the adapter for my digiQ quite often so I am ok with just the loose door from the factory, but I do like this. 

As far as the bottle catcher it is just a rare earth magnet I didn't know if I wanted to make it a permanent part of my eggCarten so I just used painters tape to see if it was strong enough to catch bottle caps. I would probably order a stronger one that is smaller if I were to actually use silicone or drill a hole to attach with a bolt. But it works pretty good, I already had the magnet so I am not sure how many pounds it is supposed to hold. 

You remove the door to use the DigiQ adapter? I just slide the door and screen to the right, insert the adapter and slide the screen and door back to the left.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama