Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The official(?) "How To Use The BGE Grid Extender" thread

Options
13»

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Here's a set up I may use more often in my Large. Spider, CGS 13" stone, 13.5" drip pan, L CI grid, extender and 18" SS grid:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Note: don't position the extender in the back of the Egg as the upper grid will hit the dome when you swing it out. (This pic was taken in the early AM before I had coffee to wake me to my senses).
    After turning the CI grate 90 degrees so the extender was to the side: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Extender with the spacer and 18" SS grid fit fine as the upper grid was maybe 1/2-1" above the felt.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are folks having issues with drippings from the top rack meats when the rack is swung out to access the lower rack? Just wondering, because grease stains on a patio can be a b!tch to deal with. I guess a grill matt would be an easy solution.

Using the CI grid as the lower rack should help as a counterweight I imagine, and make the setup less prone to tipping when the top rack is swung out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Yeah drippings can be a pain (but my dog doesn't mind). With my Large in a table I started putting some paper towels onto the table top before swinging the grid out.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options

That looks like how I have mine set up now.. CI grid on the bottom and LBGE porcelain grid on top, except my porcelain grid is rotated 90 degrees and the top of my extender is rotated 90 degrees.  That way the extender bar is supporting across the grid to help prevent sag. Mine rubbed the dome slightly when I closed it, so I probably just need to fine tune the position a bit when I actually go to use it.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Setup on the Small with the Mini grid.

Setup on the Large with the Medium grid for Pizza.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @hic, try the extender positioned perpendicular to the grid (turn 90 degrees). I find that it prevents bowing on my large.
  • caliking
    Options
    @hic, try the extender positioned perpendicular to the grid (turn 90 degrees). I find that it prevents bowing on my large.
    pic?

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I noticed others setup that way too. I will try that next time. I was thinking it was due to the removal of the spacer.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    caliking said:
    pic?
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm waiting for my extender to arrive. The picture below is from the set that @Alton posted earlier of the original extender in use.  That seems to be the sturdiest way to set it up. Probably not good for a stone but should accommodate most other cooks. I haven't seen any of the recent pictures set up that way. I was wondering why.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    The above is how mine is now.. Bar is going across the grid perpendicular to the left edge of the Egg.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    edited June 2013
    Options
  • caliking
    Options
    @SmoothSmoke: Sweet! Now load it up and put it through the paces. Is that a small ss grate on the top?

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Options
    That's 24" lower grate, 18" middle and 14.5" (Weber) top grate on a Kamado Big Joe.  Hope this doesn't get me banned from here!  I did remove the fire ring to make it fit.  It's very sturdy!
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I just received mine and haven't set it up yet, waiting for my top grid to arrive. Do people leave the extender on their primary (lower) grid all the time, even when cooking on one level? Or do you use a second lower cooking grid and basically keep the two-tier assembly as a completely separate accessory?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• BrotherEgg
    Options
    With regard to leaving it on all the time...I was wondering why you wouldn't put the wing nuts on the underside of the grid. That would seem to provide a bit more flexibility to work around and/or on top of it.

Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    With regard to leaving it on all the time...I was wondering why you wouldn't put the wing nuts on the underside of the grid. That would seem to provide a bit more flexibility to work around and/or on top of it.
    The wing nuts can only go on top of the top grid and under the bottom grid; the bolts are welded in place.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I cant wait to get mine so I provide my commentary as well...  :))
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BrotherEgg
    Options
    I thought that might be the case. I thought the reverse might create some issues with the food on the lower grid. I might try drilling and tapping mine and securing with the appropriate length stove bolt. 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    It works. 6 racks on the XL
    Mark Annville, PA
  • caliking
    Options

It works. 6 racks on the XL

Nice! Can you describe your setup?