Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a brisket gravy recipe without bbq sauce.

Options
winojeff
winojeff Posts: 67
I'm smoking a brisket for a crowd, but there's not enough gravy in the foil after it's done resting. I don't want to use bbq sauce, but I want to cook up more gravy with the drippings after pouring off the fat. Ideas?
Low-sodium beef stock, plus what???

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I create a paste for the brisket before I apply the rub. Paste consists of three tbs better than beef bullion, three tbs yellow mustard, and six tbs chili powder. Mix it until combined then rub all over the brisket. I smoke on 275 until it of 165 then foil. Prior to foiling I apply another paste made of half cup honey,4 tbs melted butter, and half cup brown sugar. Mix thoroughly and pour over brisket before foiling. Wen the cook is done the aus jus is amazingly tasty!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • winojeff
    Options
    Thanks, it sounds fabulous.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    A good brisket needs no gravy dude!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I am curious - are you using any type of rub?

What made me ask was the desire to not use bbq sauce, wondering if you were doing a brisket without traditional bbq flavoring.

I have started doing some ribs off and on with nothing but salt and pepper.  Really get the flavor of the meat.   Wouldnt say that I would always leave off the rub - but definately a different taste.

Have wondered what it would be like doing a brisket with out rub, just salt and pepper.   Has anyone tried that?  What did you think?

Sorry if my stream of consicousness is sidetracking the thread - just slap me back if it is.

Cookin in Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Thanks, guys, for the ideas. I'm having a wine dinner with the brisket and that's why I don't want to use the bbq sauce. We want to taste the wines. a 65-year-old wine for my 65th birthday.
    Aaron Franklin, a champ of brisket bbq, sent his salt and pepper rub video, and it's amazing!!
    I appreciate all your help, everyone.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

thank you nola for posting the video.   Sounds like a weekend project for me.

Cookin in Texas
  • winojeff
    edited June 2013
    Options
    A delicious weekend project. Costco sells untrimmed brisket flats, still sealed from the packer, for about $2 less per pound than the trimmed ones cost. You merely need to ask for an untrimmed brisket flat at the meat counter, and, in my case, after I rejected the first one because it was too thin and too fatty inside, the butcher brought out a case full of them, and I selected my own beauty.

It cooked up perfectly!
  • winojeff
    Options
    I'm using a typical rub with spices, sugar, salt, etc., but simply want some 'pan' gravy to which I'll add the smokey gravy from the brisket that accumulates in the foil.  I simply want a larger quantity, and I suppose I'll add that gravy to one I make on the stove, with beef stock, onions, garlic and mushrooms, simmered for a while before I add the stuff from the foiled brisket cooked in the BGE.