Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Can I use the Travis method for a 6lb brisket point?

I noticed people saying they have used the Travis method for a packer and flat but didn't see anyone that used it for a point.  Assume it is ok but wanted to doublecheck before I cook it tomorrow. I bought a choice point from a butcher. 
·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,944
    Yes, Yes you can. Just make sure you watch your temps. Or if you stick to the true Travis method you can not watch the temps and go by the alcohol intake method of timing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,248
    You can, but I wouldn't. To me, Travis's Old Method is ideal for a flat.

I would cook a point no different than I'd cook a packer. Indirect on the gird. Plenty of fat to yield a very moist product.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,955
    Point is like a butt - lots of fat and easy to cook.  No offense to Travis but I'd just cook it like a butt.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,417

Yes, Yes you can. Just make sure you watch your temps. Or if you stick to the true Travis method you can not watch the temps and go by the alcohol intake method of timing.

The force is strong with this one. Listen to him. Alcohol is the key to understanding the ways of the brisket.

Otherwise, yeah you can. Don't overcook or you'll have yummy pulled beef.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,282
    A 6-pound point?!?!?   :-O

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,248

Point is like a butt - lots of fat and easy to cook.  No offense to Travis but I'd just cook it like a butt.

He won't be offended at all. He doesn't even use that method anymore. His winning briskets are now more traditional, except he's in the high heat camp.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • Botch said:

Thats a Fatty.

·
  • Botch said:

Thats a Fatty.

It's probably the point/flat part of the brisket. A 6lb point only would be from a large beast.

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851

Botch said:

Thats a Fatty.

It's probably the point/flat part of the brisket. A 6lb point only would be from a large beast.

I see your mother has been telling stories about me agian.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • bezdecrbezdecr Posts: 28
    Thanks guys!

·