Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Innocence lost.

Hi all, I purchased a LBGE a couple months ago and have spiralled down the darkest path of addiction of my life, and love it!
It is a huge learning curve, but even the failures are amazing compared to what I use to consider as "food".
Posting a few shots that were taken with my mobile, so not sure of the quality, but learned from lurking on the forum, no pic - it never happened.
Cheers.
Egg and nest.
First attempt at lamb.
Bbq chicken with jerk seasoning.
Ribs.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks like you've got the knack.  Welcome !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Nice!
    Mamaroneck
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Looks great. Addiction is right, have you started having unsollicited conversations with co- workers about cooking on the egg yet? That's when you'll know you're crazy.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    We will be calling on you for help. Welcome to the cult.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man, great setup and cooks. Glad to have you and look forward to your posts
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thanks all, I look forward to learning from everyone here. There is so much one can do with an Egg.
    Yes Hokie - those conversations have occured and thankfully there are a core of bbq/smoker fanatics @ work that also love to share recipes and tips, so I don't seem crazy to some...
  • Good-looking cooks!  Welcome to the madhouse.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Welcome, looks like you are off to a great start
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Welcome and great cooks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • If those are failures, I can't wait for pix of your successes!  Welcome!
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome @Trini_in_Ottawa. I agree with @Fred19Flintstone!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome!  Way to come out swinging...those are some fine looking cooks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Welcome, those cooks look very nice. Cool set up as well. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, the Egg is great inducement to cooking. Remember. Portion control! It will be way to easy to go into feeding frenzy.

Wait till you start telling your co-workers about the great place you've found to score lump. Or running over to the neighbors and ask if you can have some bits of the tree they are cutting down because you can';t ever have enough different kinds of smoking wood...
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    gdenby said:
    Yes, the Egg is great inducement to cooking. Remember. Portion control! It will be way to easy to go into feeding frenzy.

Wait till you start telling your co-workers about the great place you've found to score lump. Or running over to the neighbors and ask if you can have some bits of the tree they are cutting down because you can';t ever have enough different kinds of smoking wood...
    or your significant other gets fed up with all of the pictures you take getting your food prepped, cooking on the egg and plating the results!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome aboard and great start.  A game-changer as you are aware.  An observation-I use a nest not table but it doesn't look like you have an air gap between BGE, slab and table.  Most seasoned table owners here recommend an air gap as extra insulation.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome Trini, always room in the asylum, specially for another Canuck - assume that given the frost on the table...
    Great cooks, like the submariner says, get an air gap under that egg and use the ceramic cap, park the DFMT inside the egg when you snuff it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Welcome Trini, always room in the asylum, specially for another Canuck - assume that given the frost on the table...
    Great cooks, like the submariner says, get an air gap under that egg and use the ceramic cap, park the DFMT inside the egg when you snuff it. 
    Ottawa, being the capital of Canada (i.e. the place where the Canadian President lives) would have been another good clue.
    @TexanOfTheNorth made a funny. I love it! 
  • Thanks for all the advise - will look at adding an air gap - should I put the legs on or use something else? Not sure what experienced eggers use to create a gap. Any directions would be appreciated.
    I have a cover that I put on when everything cools down.
    Yes Skid - Ottawa can be a bit "brisk" sometimes during the year, but frost is better than snow!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Hey bud nice to hear of another Canuck . Me I'm just going with a table nest no paver or stone,I'm told a two inch air gap is sufficient enough!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Like Canman says, the nest is nice and that's what I use, but you already have everything built for the paver. The little green feet which used to come with eggs are ideal, but they are hard to find. You are looking for anything that wont burn that is between 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm. Three copper elbows or T's would work. 
    @CANMAN1976 - My MBGE in a table nest throws enough heat that the tiles under it get warm, but never hot. Much like my woodstove, I'm a believer in leaving about 1.5 cm of ash in the bottom of the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Welcome

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Wow, soon enough we may have enough eggheads from the Ottawa area on the forum to organize an eggfest!

Welcome from sunny Charleston.  Come on in, waters fine!

MBGE in Charleston

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Trini_in_Ottawa: are you from Trinidad per chance? If so, we need some Trini grub posted up in here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Great cooks - keep posting!  
  • Thanks for the warm welcome all - much appreciated.
    Caliking - Trinidadian by birth, Canadian by circumstance.
    I actually make curry goat on the Egg a couple weeks ago.
    *posting below*
    The Egg can pretty much do anything in my mind...I am going to put a cape with an S on mine soon :)
    Curry Goat in Dutch oven
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Yes dudes! Now we are getting into some food!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386

Yes dudes! Now we are getting into some food!

Can't wait! The diversity here is making my head spin. Wish I had time to try cooking all this stuff.
    Mamaroneck