Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg table casters??

Has anyone ever experimented with springs on their casters? I am looking for a smooth ride for the egg around the backyard???
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,277
    You could use motorcycle valve springs but you get into a little engineering and maybe welding.  An easier solution would be pneumatic casters.  Adjust the spring via tire air pressure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/casters-swivel/8-inch-pneumatic-swivel-caster-42485.html

I used a motorcycle valve spring to dampen a 300 cement top for my stereo here:

·
  • BrotherEggBrotherEgg Posts: 95
    My suggestion would be to look for casters with pneumatic tires. I know these tables can be heavy but I'm not sure you can get springs that are tuned to provide a stable platform for all the ways we use our Eggs. My guess is that the balloon tires will get you over most backyard obstacles smoothly.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
    ·
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 1,203
    I want to do the same thing. I need to off-road my table.
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214

You could use motorcycle valve springs but you get into a little engineering and maybe welding.  An easier solution would be pneumatic casters.  Adjust the spring via tire air pressure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/casters-swivel/8-inch-pneumatic-swivel-caster-42485.html

Yup and that's why we missed @nolaegghead...

Lynnwood WA
    ·
    another reason I like BGEs - all the engineering challenges.  good ta see ya again @double

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,288

image</blockquote

We don't believe you have a stereo. Pics

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Emotiva pre and power amps, Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro card, Klipsch speakers, sub.  Neighbors hate me.

imageimage

·
  • Wchapman74Wchapman74 Posts: 50
    that set up is amazing Nola
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    I put pneumatic wheels on my large and small eggs (see avatar). No problems rolling across the flagstone pool deck or the lawn.

The wheels are from HF. Sign up for their mailing list and they will send you 20% off coupons periodically.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Thanks Wchapman74....I'm super happy with the sound and ergonomics. 

You can also get Harbor Freight 20% off coupons from Discover magazine, and I think all the Popular series (Science, Mechanics, etc.)

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,288
    @Nola- =D>
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Use at least a 5 inch caster with rubber or urethane lined wheels.  I have 5's on my rig and it handles most surfaces very well.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 132
    Emotiva pre and power amps, Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro card, Klipsch speakers, sub.  Neighbors hate me.

imageimage
    Maybe I can afford your neighbors house now?
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    edited June 2013
    @nolaegghead Neighbors hate you hell. Salado just put in a noise order after you left :-\"
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·