Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Buying a BGE from Singapore

SchwackSchwack Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,

I've been rather taken by the BGE and would love to buy a large one but I recently moved to Singapore and there are no distributors here :(  After searching the forum, I'm posting in the hope that someone could help with some tips, as to how I could import one and what I should look out for.  Couple of my concerns are:
- Finding someone to sell it to me (not possible from BGE themselves - I emailed them)
- The warranty e.g. replacing the lid, issues with glazing.
- Transport. How big and heavy is it packed?

Is there anyone in Singapore who actually has one?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    If you have a partner in the states or canuckistan, you can have them buy it for you and ship it.  Hopefully Singapore customs won't mis-identify it as an illegal weapon of meat destruction and drag you into the town square for a caning.  If there's a will (and especially a wallet), there's a way.

• SchwackSchwack Posts: 5
    Wow!  Fast reply.  I'll have to do some head scratching to see who I know in the US and is willing to organise everything.  Have you heard of any distributors that accept online payment?

BTW nice signature.
    hi schwack - Ace does online ordering, but I think the BGE business model is local sales only.  I'm certain that wouldn't exclude dealing via phone and making a deal with a local BGE dealer.  The likelyhood of them shipping 100-300 pound crate to Singapore is slim.  You'll need a surrogate, and where there's a market, there's a supply.  Call the wolf (Pulp Fiction reference).

• allsidallsid Posts: 371
    Bring a bit of a label snob myself, this is just an idea.  I understand why you want the real deal BGE but I would assume Singapore is in the nucleus of Komando cookery and you may be able to find a local version that won't set you back too badly.  It could be a fun quest-
    @allsid - good point.   Kamado cookers have been used in Asia for centuries, but they're relatively new in the Western world.   Bring on the comments all you BGE-or-you're-going-to-rot-in-hell brand enthusiasts!  After the horror of FanofFanBoys wife's purchase, could distributor quality control be slipping?!

Good idea allsid.

Last weekend I did some searching online about komados in Singapore but haven't sound much, so far, apart from restaurants.  People are rather adverse to buying online, so I'll probably have to spend some time traipsing around the various shops.
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,008
    Primo has online sales. Don't know of they ship to Singapore but it may be worth a shot.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,137
    I was thinking the same thing...before paying the unbelievable cost to have one shipped, I would look for some other kamado cooker available without overseas shipping.  We will still welcome you here if you want to talk recipes ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • TN_EggerTN_Egger Posts: 128
    Assuming you can actually get the egg to Singapore, do you have a lump supplier?  I'm in a similar situation and considered blowing my entire shipping allowance on getting my egg here.  Problem is, there's no reasonable lump source.  Kingsford may work, but is pricey and will never burn long enough for a good low and slow.  Not to mention all the ash. 

Monteagle, TN

one large and one small

Nice to know that I'll still be welcome even if I don't end up with a BGE :)

@TN_Egger: To be honest, I haven't thought about.  I don't have experience with the kamado grills yet but I'm sure there is some way to find something decent... maybe from Indonesia.

Well, wish me luck on my quest!
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    You might look at Komodo Kamado in Indonesia.  Less shipping, more cooker, higher price.  
    The Naked Whiz
    I wouldn't worry too much about lump availability...I mean, it wouldn't stop me.  I'd pick up a 55 gallon drum and make my own.  I presume they have trees there?  Get a good chainsaw.  And you can always use briquettes.

• HibbyHibby Posts: 417
    I did some searching on my own but found nothing. I wish you the best of luck. The world's better when it's smaller. Good cooking!
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,396
    How long will you be there? And what do you want to cook on it? If it's a short term thing and you primarily want lo n slo, you might consider an Alton Brown flower pot. Does a good job on whole chickens, turkey parts, butts and the like. That's what I used before I got an egg. 

Two terracotta pots (one for the "dome"), hot plate with rheostat, Weber replacement cooking grate, steel cake pan for the smoking wood and a dome thermo. Mine cost about $70. Definitely no searing or pizzas though. :) It doesn't like cold or windy weather either. No charcoal required. 

It's not an egg by a LONG shot, but it might tide you over. Just a thought.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 527

Cheapest way to get the BGE from the US or CA would be surface, 30-40 days in transit
    Best guess on surface freight for one 300 lb 36" X 36" X 48" pallet would be about $500--- $700. 

Check this supplier for charcoal in SG. 

We are specialized in supplying a wide range of charcoals for professional use in restaurants as well as for domicile use.
    FOB Price: Get Latest Price
    T.P. Global Pte. Ltd.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,310
    How many are you cooking for? I have sent a Mini to Afghanistan. So I can tell you it is doable.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Also, I know that some time in the past, someone took a small to England in checked baggage.  He divided all the parts into two groups and then padded the heck out of them in 2 Rubbermaid tubs.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 659
    @Mickey How do you send the mini to Afghanistan? I'm interested to know because I've got a friend who's moving to Singapore as well and they're interested to get a mini.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• MickeyMickey Posts: 15,310
    As I recall it was FedEx (I think). Seems about a little under $200 to ship both packages (one with lump).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

Thanks for the info! I've been away from the puter for the last few days and am just catching up - you guys really are a great help and legends at answering.

As an update, I spent today wandering around a couple of shops, albeit forlornly because there weren't any grills like the BGE but on a positive note, my wife is convinced that it's a good idea 

@Carolina Q: That sounds like an amazing idea!  I'm here for a few years but not from the States, so I'd be happy to invest in something decent in the first place, since I'll probably have the problem wherever I am next.

@Mickey: Afghanistan?  Wow - I'm impressed.  Currently, we have a small family (mini would be ok) but I'd like to cook for friends, so about 10 people.

@The Naked Whiz: That Kamado from Indonesia is awesome looking, though definitely out of my price range and unfortunately, my work doesn't take me to the US.

@egger ave: Thanks for the estimated costs.  Looks like the total cost would be about 1.5 x retail price. 

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,607
    @allsid - good point.   Kamado cookers have been used in Asia for centuries, but they're relatively new in the Western world.   Bring on the comments all you BGE-or-you're-going-to-rot-in-hell brand enthusiasts!  After the horror of FanofFanBoys wife's purchase, could distributor quality control be slipping?!
    to be fair that dealer has a bad rep, as dyal and chubbs can attest to, and my wife just didnt know. there is another local dealer that is great and BGE CS sent me all the updated parts to reflect the price my wife paid. 
    Boom