Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a BGE from Singapore

Options
Schwack
Schwack Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,

I've been rather taken by the BGE and would love to buy a large one but I recently moved to Singapore and there are no distributors here :(  After searching the forum, I'm posting in the hope that someone could help with some tips, as to how I could import one and what I should look out for.  Couple of my concerns are:
- Finding someone to sell it to me (not possible from BGE themselves - I emailed them)
- The warranty e.g. replacing the lid, issues with glazing.
- Transport. How big and heavy is it packed?

Is there anyone in Singapore who actually has one?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have a partner in the states or canuckistan, you can have them buy it for you and ship it.  Hopefully Singapore customs won't mis-identify it as an illegal weapon of meat destruction and drag you into the town square for a caning.  If there's a will (and especially a wallet), there's a way.
    Options
    Wow!  Fast reply.  I'll have to do some head scratching to see who I know in the US and is willing to organise everything.  Have you heard of any distributors that accept online payment?

BTW nice signature.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    hi schwack - Ace does online ordering, but I think the BGE business model is local sales only.  I'm certain that wouldn't exclude dealing via phone and making a deal with a local BGE dealer.  The likelyhood of them shipping 100-300 pound crate to Singapore is slim.  You'll need a surrogate, and where there's a market, there's a supply.  Call the wolf (Pulp Fiction reference).
    Options
    Bring a bit of a label snob myself, this is just an idea.  I understand why you want the real deal BGE but I would assume Singapore is in the nucleus of Komando cookery and you may be able to find a local version that won't set you back too badly.  It could be a fun quest-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @allsid - good point.   Kamado cookers have been used in Asia for centuries, but they're relatively new in the Western world.   Bring on the comments all you BGE-or-you're-going-to-rot-in-hell brand enthusiasts!  After the horror of FanofFanBoys wife's purchase, could distributor quality control be slipping?!
    Options
    Good idea allsid.

Last weekend I did some searching online about komados in Singapore but haven't sound much, so far, apart from restaurants.  People are rather adverse to buying online, so I'll probably have to spend some time traipsing around the various shops.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Primo has online sales. Don't know of they ship to Singapore but it may be worth a shot.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing...before paying the unbelievable cost to have one shipped, I would look for some other kamado cooker available without overseas shipping.  We will still welcome you here if you want to talk recipes ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Assuming you can actually get the egg to Singapore, do you have a lump supplier?  I'm in a similar situation and considered blowing my entire shipping allowance on getting my egg here.  Problem is, there's no reasonable lump source.  Kingsford may work, but is pricey and will never burn long enough for a good low and slow.  Not to mention all the ash. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Schwack
    Options
    Nice to know that I'll still be welcome even if I don't end up with a BGE :)

@TN_Egger: To be honest, I haven't thought about.  I don't have experience with the kamado grills yet but I'm sure there is some way to find something decent... maybe from Indonesia.

Well, wish me luck on my quest!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You might look at Komodo Kamado in Indonesia.  Less shipping, more cooker, higher price.  
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about lump availability...I mean, it wouldn't stop me.  I'd pick up a 55 gallon drum and make my own.  I presume they have trees there?  Get a good chainsaw.  And you can always use briquettes.
    Options
    I did some searching on my own but found nothing. I wish you the best of luck. The world's better when it's smaller. Good cooking!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How long will you be there? And what do you want to cook on it? If it's a short term thing and you primarily want lo n slo, you might consider an Alton Brown flower pot. Does a good job on whole chickens, turkey parts, butts and the like. That's what I used before I got an egg. 

Two terracotta pots (one for the "dome"), hot plate with rheostat, Weber replacement cooking grate, steel cake pan for the smoking wood and a dome thermo. Mine cost about $70. Definitely no searing or pizzas though. :) It doesn't like cold or windy weather either. No charcoal required. 

It's not an egg by a LONG shot, but it might tide you over. Just a thought.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options

Cheapest way to get the BGE from the US or CA would be surface, 30-40 days in transit
    Best guess on surface freight for one 300 lb 36" X 36" X 48" pallet would be about $500--- $700. 

Check this supplier for charcoal in SG. 

We are specialized in supplying a wide range of charcoals for professional use in restaurants as well as for domicile use.
    FOB Price: Get Latest Price
    T.P. Global Pte. Ltd.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How many are you cooking for? I have sent a Mini to Afghanistan. So I can tell you it is doable.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Also, I know that some time in the past, someone took a small to England in checked baggage.  He divided all the parts into two groups and then padded the heck out of them in 2 Rubbermaid tubs.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    @Mickey How do you send the mini to Afghanistan? I'm interested to know because I've got a friend who's moving to Singapore as well and they're interested to get a mini.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As I recall it was FedEx (I think). Seems about a little under $200 to ship both packages (one with lump).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Schwack
    Options

Thanks for the info! I've been away from the puter for the last few days and am just catching up - you guys really are a great help and legends at answering.

As an update, I spent today wandering around a couple of shops, albeit forlornly because there weren't any grills like the BGE but on a positive note, my wife is convinced that it's a good idea 

@Carolina Q: That sounds like an amazing idea!  I'm here for a few years but not from the States, so I'd be happy to invest in something decent in the first place, since I'll probably have the problem wherever I am next.

@Mickey: Afghanistan?  Wow - I'm impressed.  Currently, we have a small family (mini would be ok) but I'd like to cook for friends, so about 10 people.

@The Naked Whiz: That Kamado from Indonesia is awesome looking, though definitely out of my price range and unfortunately, my work doesn't take me to the US.

@egger ave: Thanks for the estimated costs.  Looks like the total cost would be about 1.5 x retail price. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    @allsid - good point.   Kamado cookers have been used in Asia for centuries, but they're relatively new in the Western world.   Bring on the comments all you BGE-or-you're-going-to-rot-in-hell brand enthusiasts!  After the horror of FanofFanBoys wife's purchase, could distributor quality control be slipping?!
    to be fair that dealer has a bad rep, as dyal and chubbs can attest to, and my wife just didnt know. there is another local dealer that is great and BGE CS sent me all the updated parts to reflect the price my wife paid. 
    Boom