Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid lifter/placer

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I need a grid lifter/placer thingamajig to place my grid down or pick it out of my Egg.  Right now I am using pliers and they work fairly well but I don't want it to slip and damage the gasket or any other part of the Egg.  I did not see anything at Walmart.  Let me know and thanks!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Well, BGE has a couple. Did you check with the dealer where you purchased your egg?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Lawn Ranger makes these. gridlifter@gmail.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mickey, I didn't think Mike still made those. Wrong, huh?

I've been using this for a couple of years now. Works great. Cheap. It's a garden rake. When I started using it, it had three prongs. The outer two broke off (no, I didn't drop the grid) and I found that it worked as well, maybe better, with just the one. Wooden handle finally rotted from being left out in the weather, so I replaced it with a tree branch.  :D 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited June 2013
    Been working for years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Brilliant!  No more burning the crap out of my hands...
      :))
    edited June 2013
    Mickey, I didn't think Mike still made those. Wrong, huh?

I've been using this for a couple of years now. Works great.
    Michael you have misunderstood. Mike stopped putting beans in his chili =))

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I used the BGE cast iron grid holder. I didn't want to spring the $20 but it works well for both the stainless steel and Cast Iron grids. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Carolina Q
    Mickey said:
    Michael you have misunderstood. Mike stopped putting beans in his chili =))

So you're saying he stopped making chili and now just makes meat sauce? That's terrible!! :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I've been very happy with my Third Hand and Three Finger tools: http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html?no_redirect=true

Lift & hang the grid with one tool.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    I also have Third Eyes Grid Lifter.  Love that I can hang a dirty rack and then place it back on the egg to burn off.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I have a third hand, I really like how easy it is to life the grid. Any of thirdeye's products are very well made and very practical.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    abpgwolf said:
    I have a third hand, I really like how easy it is to life the grid. Any of thirdeye's products are very well made and very practical.

As in the third leg we joked about in middle school?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    If I could lift... Oh never mind!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    +1 on the channel locks!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    agree with GATABITES       it works well.    

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Wife is taking me to a store in OKC that sells barbecue items (a Father's Day gift I get to pick out).  I will look for one of these.  Thanks to all for the help!
  • I too have the thrideye grate lifter--it is quite handy, and lifts out large cast iron grate with no problem.  Then, it lets you hang a hot grate on the end of your table and balances the hanging grate so it does not touch anything while it cools--pretty dang nifty.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You can use aluminum flat bar to make some nifty tools for lifting grates, similar to stuff mentioned above. I made 2 (again with my superior bending skills). I'll take a couple of pics when I get home. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I love this tool.  This is what you want:

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

That handle looks suspiciously like... asparagus.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Another vote for Third hand / third eye.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I've been very happy with my Third Hand and Three Finger tools: http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html?no_redirect=true

Lift & hang the grid with one tool.
    +1

South SLO County
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm gonna get one of them "grate liftin' gizmos" cause I been done tired of using mah old grate lifter...

Im Gonna try the channel lock pliers ...I hope they work out.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Carolina Q
    Botch said:

That handle looks suspiciously like... asparagus.  
    Nah, maple. Tree needed pruning anyway.  :D The rest of the branch is smoke wood.

Btw, I also discovered I can hang that sucker from the edge of my eggmate, similar to the third hand, though probably less secure.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    I'm gonna get one of them "grate liftin' gizmos" cause I been done tired of using mah old grate lifter...

eeeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!!
    South SLO County
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    nola - that looks like it a hurt ALOT. Was that recent? Hop eits healed well by now.

Some scrap aluminum bar works well for the mini. Tried it out when i made the brisket spaghetti sauce. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Grid tongs are cheap and much safer.  You want to grab the hot grids with something that will hold them securely and safely.  Channel locks are good, but I leave them in my toolbox where they really belong.  They don't look good hanging on my cart.  A piece of bar stock is not very secure and a slip can easily occur.  Safety is always the number one component of any job or recreational activity.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!