Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last nights Tri Tips

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053

Got these from Costco they were on the smaller side. Rubbed 1 with 3 taxi guys rub and the other with Oakridge BBQ's black ops and then did a hot tub in the sous vide at 108 degrees for an hour. Seared for about a minute each side for 3 flips and then threw in some oak and finished indirect at around 400 to 128. The smaller one was done after only a couple minutes indirect. I had some Asparagus on the mini and ended up making tri tips wraps with asparagus, pickle and horseradish sauce. This was my first time using the black ops rub and it was good.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good @Lit

I have three tri-tips in the fridge right now, I think I'll cook one of them tonight and foodsaver the others - thanks
    Lit, you owe me!!  Now, it'll be a trip to Costco -- 63 miles each way -- got a have some tri-tip!!  You got it right on the money!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great @Lit.  I love Oak Ridge stuff.  I am pretty maxed out on rubs right now...but will have to give the black ops a try once a work through what I have.  

The wrap with horsey sauce sounds killer!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Wow, that looks great!  Bet it tasted terrific.

Another super way to go is Santa Maria style.  Go to www.eggsbythebay.com and click on "Recipes".  Santa Maria-style recipe is a definite winner!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Thanks guys. Only 3 of the neighbors showed up for grill night so I am having tri tip wraps for lunch the rest of the week. @jaydub58 I have made tri tips probably 100 times over the last couple years and have meant to give that recipe a shot and always forget. Always have heard good things about it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Well, no tri-tip for me tonight.  SWMBO is making vegetarian lasagna.   It was going to be chicken, but I used the boneless thighs I found in the fridge last night in a butter chicken curry dish.  Mebbe tomorrow......?