Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Early Father's Day gift

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    caliking said:

FWIW, that sounds like he's trying to do the right thing. He knows that it would take you about 5 mins (either on here or calling the mothership) to figure out that he's FOS.

Yeah I even told him I talked to Duane at BGE. And I do think he is trying. I bought Large from same guy.
    Do you think me asking for a mini PS and Large pizza stone is fair? If not any suggestions? I don't want to get over, just want something fair.
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Sounds like he's trying his best to make it right. Prolly some kid on a summer job sold it to your wife, easy mistake to make.

So jealous of the Mini's

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys

Sounds like he's trying his best to make it right. Prolly some kid on a summer job sold it to your wife, easy mistake to make.

So jealous of the Mini's

He is trying but it was the store manager himself.
    Why I'm trying to figure out what's fair. They don't do much Egg business so they're not very competent with it.

Boom
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Have you checked prices of those items with other dealers just for reference?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Mini ps and stone is about 80-100$ I'd guess

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    So I called him and asked about the mini PS and pizza stone. See what happens. Said he would check with his distributor and call me back. He offered to take the mini back, even tho I used it once. Honestly don't want to do that but there is the dealer down the road, like 5 minutes from my job, selling the newer model for $89 or so less. Same one Chubbs used. So I don't think it's much since got older model for more money. Heck took 2 calls for him to acknowledge I should have got a ceramic cap. He told me twice, and my wife in person, that the mini doesn't get one.
    Boom
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Take it back and reboot
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited June 2013

I would still take it back. It is the same guy who "ordered" my replacement 13CI grate like 6 months ago.. I called him like 5 times to see where it was. He said BGE makes him order a minimum of $4000 before he can place an order. I called him and told him that was BS and never went back.

Jack Olivers ordered me a replacement 13CI last week and i got it 2 days later. No to mention she gave me 20% of it and a free box of fire starters... Jack Olivers has a mini on the floor as of Friday.  

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Boom
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'd take it back for sure. I purchased one a year ago and discovered, after I cooked on it, that it was the old model at the new price. I wanted the new model. The dealer didn't even blink. He even threw in a bag of charcoal for my trouble. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • FanOfFanboys
    If I get the mini PS and large pizza stone thrown in I will keep. Otherwise I will take back. If I hadn't already used I would have already taken back and not gone thru this process. He said I will hear from him no later than tomorrow morning.
    Boom
  • caliking
    My vote goes for listening to @Chubbs. Take it back and do-over with the dealer with better service and better price.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Bye bye. Enjoy the new egg from Jack
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Chubbs said:
    So dealer just called me. Told me he found a ceramic cap so that's goodi. But he says he called his distributor that he was told there has been no recent changes update to the mini minus small tweak to hinge, there has been no recent price changes, and that $400 is and has been price for the mini.

Man, have you cooked on it?? I would take it back. Cayce is full of $hit which is why I got us the deal set up at JO on Forest. Cayce Ace was supposed to order me a new 13"CI grate for the one I broke and they told me it would be a few months. That was 6 months ago never a word. JO's has us setup in their system with an automatic discount of 15-18% off and their customer service is top notch.

Hi, where is Jo? Do you have a link? I need a mini.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • MrCookingNurse
    Hey bud, the mini plate setter is not going to work as good with the old style. It's specifically made to fit in the new styles fire ring slots. @lit had a wrote up about cutting his old fire ring to make it work.

I would take it back in a heart beat. Drive down the road and buy the new one. It is well worth the effort to get the new one.

Take it back! \m/

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Alright so I still haven't heard back from the dealer. Was supposed to call Sat morn and didn't. I called him yesterday and he said he would call me back this morn and never did. So I just lit mini to burn up the charcoal that's in it and I'm going to return tomorrow.
    Had for almost a week now I think and only used once bc waiting on him. After return I def won't be using that store anymore. And Saturday morn I'll head to Jack Oliver's to pick up the mini they have.
    @freddyj they are off forest dr by old Richland mall. Where Good Wood used to be.
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    I don't blame you. I would call Karen and let her know you are going to grab the mini. Tell her you are "in the group" with Matt and he said he worked out a price with you. You will be all set.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Chubbs said:

I don't blame you. I would call Karen and let her know you are going to grab the mini. Tell her you are "in the group" with Matt and he said he worked out a price with you. You will be all set.

I went by the other day to pick up my warranty bottom for my large. She knew immediately who I was. Very nice and easy to deal with. Once I return I'll be heading her way. And I only work like 2.5 miles from there too
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    Perfect. Good luck man.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Awesome man

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    So aggravated with this dealer. When him and I spoke originally I told him I used it once and he said if he couldn't make it right he would accept me returning it. I drove up there today after work and he is refusing to allow me to return it. He offering no discount on price, no accessories, and no return. He still has one of the old models on the floor right now for $408. Not the new style. So at this point I don't know what I should do. Any suggestions?
    Boom
  • Did ya get any Kentucky Jelly? Cuz you just got screwed.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yeah not sure he has to taken it back once its been used.

All you can do is have him.lose your business and leave a review on how you were treated.

Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My suggestion is talk to the mothership first, if that doesn't work threaten to call the BBB and trash his biz on every online review site and blog you can find - not "trash" but accurately describe your experience and how he reneged on his word.  If that doesn't work, I'd just kick his ass.
    Ha thanks everyone. I emailed Duane at BGE again, see what he says. All I really wanted was a price adjustment or accessory in that value.
    He is still selling the old style for $408 while another dealer, not JO, has new style for $399. I told him counting this mini I have spent over $1,800 at his store just on BGEs sbd accessories and that I wouldn't be shipping there anymore. He said ok.
    Boom
  • caliking
    The dealer obviously doesn't realize that buying the egg is just the beginning. Seems like he already has a reputation for not being the dealer to go to. Contact the mothership and see what they have to say.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'm guessing he must not do a whole lot of business with his line of Eggs.  That would be the only explanation for how poor he has handled this transaction.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    I'll wait on Duane. No matter what I'll write the online reviews about him. Annoyed. Even more so bc wife feels like she was ripped off (and he told her to her face a ceramic cap doesn't exist for the mini and told me that twice on phone) so she feels bad
    Boom
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    That sucks man. I know how that is. Had a dealer try to rip my wife off with a similar deal. I don't understand this mentality. They are living in the past not realizing that they are going to get not just a bad review that you spread to your family and friends but also on forums, yelp/yahoo/etc. Stupid to believe that you can pull the wool over someones eyes these days when all it takes is 5 minutes online to see that you are full of sh*t. Hopefully BGE will be able to step in and help out. Sounds like a dealer that shouldn't be an authorized reseller.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • FanOfFanboys

I'm guessing he must not do a whole lot of business with his line of Eggs.  That would be the only explanation for how poor he has handled this transaction.

Well the two minis he has/had in stock are both from 2012 and he didn't know they came with ceramic tops.
    Boom