Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grid lifter/placer

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I need a grid lifter/placer thingamajig to place my grid down or pick it out of my Egg.  Right now I am using pliers and they work fairly well but I don't want it to slip and damage the gasket or any other part of the Egg.  I did not see anything at Walmart.  Let me know and thanks!
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,045
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Well, BGE has a couple. Did you check with the dealer where you purchased your egg?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Lawn Ranger makes these. gridlifter@gmail.com
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,786
    Mickey, I didn't think Mike still made those. Wrong, huh?

I've been using this for a couple of years now. Works great. Cheap. It's a garden rake. When I started using it, it had three prongs. The outer two broke off (no, I didn't drop the grid) and I found that it worked as well, maybe better, with just the one. Wooden handle finally rotted from being left out in the weather, so I replaced it with a tree branch.  :D 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Dave in FloridaDave in Florida Posts: 798
    edited June 2013
    Been working for years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,860
    Brilliant!  No more burning the crap out of my hands...
      :))

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,045
    edited June 2013
    Mickey, I didn't think Mike still made those. Wrong, huh?

I've been using this for a couple of years now. Works great.
    Michael you have misunderstood. Mike stopped putting beans in his chili =))

·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 997
    I used the BGE cast iron grid holder. I didn't want to spring the $20 but it works well for both the stainless steel and Cast Iron grids. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
    Mickey said:
    Michael you have misunderstood. Mike stopped putting beans in his chili =))

So you're saying he stopped making chili and now just makes meat sauce? That's terrible!! :D
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I've been very happy with my Third Hand and Three Finger tools: http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html?no_redirect=true

Lift & hang the grid with one tool.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • sharhammsharhamm Posts: 254
    I also have Third Eyes Grid Lifter.  Love that I can hang a dirty rack and then place it back on the egg to burn off.
    ·
  • abpgwolfabpgwolf Posts: 132
    I have a third hand, I really like how easy it is to life the grid. Any of thirdeye's products are very well made and very practical.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,666
    abpgwolf said:
    I have a third hand, I really like how easy it is to life the grid. Any of thirdeye's products are very well made and very practical.

As in the third leg we joked about in middle school?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • abpgwolfabpgwolf Posts: 132
    If I could lift... Oh never mind!
    ·
  • +1 on the channel locks!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 340
    agree with GATABITES       it works well.    

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • Wife is taking me to a store in OKC that sells barbecue items (a Father's Day gift I get to pick out).  I will look for one of these.  Thanks to all for the help!
    ·
  • I too have the thrideye grate lifter--it is quite handy, and lifts out large cast iron grate with no problem.  Then, it lets you hang a hot grate on the end of your table and balances the hanging grate so it does not touch anything while it cools--pretty dang nifty.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,593
    You can use aluminum flat bar to make some nifty tools for lifting grates, similar to stuff mentioned above. I made 2 (again with my superior bending skills). I'll take a couple of pics when I get home. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,338
    I love this tool.  This is what you want:

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,962

That handle looks suspiciously like... asparagus.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 861
    Another vote for Third hand / third eye.
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    ·
  • SoCalWJSSoCalWJS Posts: 257
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I've been very happy with my Third Hand and Three Finger tools: http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html?no_redirect=true

Lift & hang the grid with one tool.
    +1

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,860
    I'm gonna get one of them "grate liftin' gizmos" cause I been done tired of using mah old grate lifter...

·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,521
    Im Gonna try the channel lock pliers ...I hope they work out.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
    Botch said:

That handle looks suspiciously like... asparagus.  
    Nah, maple. Tree needed pruning anyway.  :D The rest of the branch is smoke wood.

Btw, I also discovered I can hang that sucker from the edge of my eggmate, similar to the third hand, though probably less secure.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • SoCalWJSSoCalWJS Posts: 257
    I'm gonna get one of them "grate liftin' gizmos" cause I been done tired of using mah old grate lifter...

eeeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,593
    nola - that looks like it a hurt ALOT. Was that recent? Hop eits healed well by now.

Some scrap aluminum bar works well for the mini. Tried it out when i made the brisket spaghetti sauce. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Grid tongs are cheap and much safer.  You want to grab the hot grids with something that will hold them securely and safely.  Channel locks are good, but I leave them in my toolbox where they really belong.  They don't look good hanging on my cart.  A piece of bar stock is not very secure and a slip can easily occur.  Safety is always the number one component of any job or recreational activity.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·