Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meat slicer

FurallFurall Posts: 103
Kinda been looking around at a slicer and the edgecraft 610 seems to be popular. Anyone have this that will vouch or steer me to another model? 150ish is what I would like to spend. Thanks everyone!
·

Comments

• I've got the 615 model.  $155 on amazon.  It works well for the amount I use it.  Just use about once a week when I make my deli meat.  Comes apart and cleans up easily.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,587
    I just bought the Chefs Choice 632 from Williams Sonoma, it works great for me. The cost is 299 though.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,973
    You might consider a used commercial model. Most will be more than you want to spend, but occasionally you can find them on Craigslist in your price range. The disadvantage is, you may well have owned CARS that are smaller!  :D I found this 1949 Globe for $100. Makes a few odd noises, but it still does what I need. And has been doing it for someone for 64 years! Don't know if they all come with built in sharpeners, but it's a great feature!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • FurallFurall Posts: 103
    That is a big boy. I never thought of CL but will sure give it a look. Would love to find something like that. I will spend what I need to get past the junk and into a little quality. Thanks for the help guys!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,696
    I have the 615...does what I want it too.  I'd love to have a commercial unit but don't have the storage space to justify.

·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,449
    edited June 2013
    just checked out the edgecraft and the chef's choice (same deal). They have plastic gears. I would make sure they are easily replaceable or find a used commercial unit. They have great reviews on Amazon so I'm sure they are good for the $. I'm just a little wary of the plastic gears.

Also, I noticed it has a serrated blade. you guys that have them, does it make really clean cuts on super thin slices (think paper thin prosciutto). I saw that it cuts bread which is cool. Maybe it has 2 blades?

·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Globe slicers are solid and last forever, even at 60+ years old they will outwork any modern slicer.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,696
    It's not that great at paper-thin slicing...there's a bit of play on the adjustable stage...and if you really press the food hard into the fence, it can creep (giving you a thicker slice).  Once you learn to deal with those idiosyncrasies and not try to force a perfect full cut every time, it works great.  Not too worried about the plastic gears because I didn't notice a gear problem in the reviews.

·
  • ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 519
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • I found a used globe for $550 on CL. I'm going that route. I had a $4000 brand new Globe at my deli.............sold it for a song. Dang

·
  • You can buy the non-serrated blade as an add on, which I did, and it does pretty good on thin slicing.  Much better than the serrated.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,587
    I got two blades with mine, they were having a special and offered the extra blade one serrated and one not. I haven't use the serrated blade yet. I wasn't thrilled about the plastic gears but for as little as mine gets used they should be fine.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • FurallFurall Posts: 103
    This is what's so awesome about this forum. People will help and its genuine. Thanks.
    ·
  • ReldtiCDNReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    Brampton, Ontario

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,626
    CenTex has a good point about the plastic gears, but considering your budget, they will be plastic. Most home slicers cannot whip through a roast like a deli counter Hobart. Take your time, let the blade do the cutting and the unit will last you for years, even with plastic gears. The other thing to consider is how easy it is to clean, this will make you either love it or hate it. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·