Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat slicer

Options
Furall
Furall Posts: 124
Kinda been looking around at a slicer and the edgecraft 610 seems to be popular. Anyone have this that will vouch or steer me to another model? 150ish is what I would like to spend. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I've got the 615 model.  $155 on amazon.  It works well for the amount I use it.  Just use about once a week when I make my deli meat.  Comes apart and cleans up easily.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I just bought the Chefs Choice 632 from Williams Sonoma, it works great for me. The cost is 299 though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You might consider a used commercial model. Most will be more than you want to spend, but occasionally you can find them on Craigslist in your price range. The disadvantage is, you may well have owned CARS that are smaller!  :D I found this 1949 Globe for $100. Makes a few odd noises, but it still does what I need. And has been doing it for someone for 64 years! Don't know if they all come with built in sharpeners, but it's a great feature!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Furall
    Options
    That is a big boy. I never thought of CL but will sure give it a look. Would love to find something like that. I will spend what I need to get past the junk and into a little quality. Thanks for the help guys!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have the 615...does what I want it too.  I'd love to have a commercial unit but don't have the storage space to justify.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    just checked out the edgecraft and the chef's choice (same deal). They have plastic gears. I would make sure they are easily replaceable or find a used commercial unit. They have great reviews on Amazon so I'm sure they are good for the $. I'm just a little wary of the plastic gears.

Also, I noticed it has a serrated blade. you guys that have them, does it make really clean cuts on super thin slices (think paper thin prosciutto). I saw that it cuts bread which is cool. Maybe it has 2 blades?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Globe slicers are solid and last forever, even at 60+ years old they will outwork any modern slicer.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's not that great at paper-thin slicing...there's a bit of play on the adjustable stage...and if you really press the food hard into the fence, it can creep (giving you a thicker slice).  Once you learn to deal with those idiosyncrasies and not try to force a perfect full cut every time, it works great.  Not too worried about the plastic gears because I didn't notice a gear problem in the reviews.
    Options
    Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I found a used globe for $550 on CL. I'm going that route. I had a $4000 brand new Globe at my deli.............sold it for a song. Dang

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    You can buy the non-serrated blade as an add on, which I did, and it does pretty good on thin slicing.  Much better than the serrated.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I got two blades with mine, they were having a special and offered the extra blade one serrated and one not. I haven't use the serrated blade yet. I wasn't thrilled about the plastic gears but for as little as mine gets used they should be fine.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Furall
    Options
    This is what's so awesome about this forum. People will help and its genuine. Thanks.
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    Options
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    CenTex has a good point about the plastic gears, but considering your budget, they will be plastic. Most home slicers cannot whip through a roast like a deli counter Hobart. Take your time, let the blade do the cutting and the unit will last you for years, even with plastic gears. The other thing to consider is how easy it is to clean, this will make you either love it or hate it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    You might consider a used commercial model. Most will be more than you want to spend, but occasionally you can find them on Craigslist in your price range. The disadvantage is, you may well have owned CARS that are smaller!  :D I found this 1949 Globe for $100. Makes a few odd noises, but it still does what I need. And has been doing it for someone for 64 years! Don't know if they all come with built in sharpeners, but it's a great feature!

I just lucked into a Globe 400 yesterday and mine also comes with the sharpener. Do you know how to use it? I have no idea.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio