Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Extender has my dealer curious

Got my grill extender in the mail last week. Thanks to all those involved! Called my dealer in TN and wanted to order 2 small bge cooking grids and the lady said she had been selling eggs for close to 10 years and has never had so many calls from people wanting replacement grids. She asked me if i wanted the grids for some grill extender like one that another customer told her about. I couldn't lie and confessed that's why I wanted it. She said over the years the mothership has considered and even bought into some of these after market items making them their own. I'm sure a mothership purchase would  take the price from 25 to 75 bucks, based on the price of the grids . Glad i got mine and i wish the inventor all the best in selling these things.

BTW small stainless cooking grids ran 50 bucks a pop with shipping.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    BGE = "It's all about money"!
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    $55 with tax for medium grill grate for my LBGE, love the grill extender

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Im still waitin on mine to arrive. Cant wait to try it out.
  • Charlie tuna
    Wouldn't the weber replacement grills work that are sold at Home Depot.  They are abut twenty bucks, depending on the size?
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I purchased both the17" and 13.5" Weber charcoal grate from HD for less than $20
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374

They are not as strong and they will rust. I have a 22.5 weber tried it  out and it was bending very easy. Also I have not used the weber for the past 3 months and it has a cover. The grill was already rusted badly. Got the stainless was double, but only have to buy once. My thoughts for they are worth. The dealer here was 47.00 for the large Stainless.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I was wondering if any dealers noticed an influx

XLBGE 
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    I did notice that one should not rotate the grill extender all the way "around" or the bottom (assume larger grill) will lift up.  Didn't dump any of the chicken but it definitely got my attention.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Weber 13.5" cooking grate seems pretty sturdy and less than $10
    Mamaroneck
  • Charlie tuna
    Nice "photo explaination" Mama Roneck.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Question - Are y'all using the bottom grid at felt level? In other words, are you using the extender with a platesetter? Like, if you had a large egg, you would use the extended with a large grid on the bottom and a medium grid on the top because it is in the dome?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited June 2013
    In my picture above it's sitting on a platesetter at gasket level. And there's a little more than an inch clearance all around when closed. Could probably take a bigger grate, but only just
    Mamaroneck
  • Charlie tuna
    Just looking at the additional heigth up into the dome this gets your cooking --  is going to make a big difference in your cooking like spatchcock chicken or wings!!  As mentioned, you need to have a counter weight on the lower grid, even if it was a few bricks...
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I've noticed that mine has a slight slope to it because of the way the rod sits in the shaft. A bit of a bummer, but not a huge deal. I used mine last night for the first time. Did some chicken thighs direct and put a CI skillet on the top to sautée some green beans. Worked well, but had to make sure I didn't swing the grid too fast or the skillet would have slid off.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    My 1st cook with this is the large CI grate raised w bricks and my small grate (from my small Egg). Chicken breasts and okra. Gotta get the medium grate soon.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    mwraulst said:

Got my grill extender in the mail last week. Thanks to all those involved! Called my dealer in TN and wanted to order 2 small bge cooking grids and the lady said she had been selling eggs for close to 10 years and has never had so many calls from people wanting replacement grids. She asked me if i wanted the grids for some grill extender like one that another customer told her about. I couldn't lie and confessed that's why I wanted it. She said over the years the mothership has considered and even bought into some of these after market items making them their own. I'm sure a mothership purchase would  take the price from 25 to 75 bucks, based on the price of the grids . Glad i got mine and i wish the inventor all the best in selling these things.

BTW small stainless cooking grids ran 50 bucks a pop with shipping.

My local dealer told me the Mothership was coming out with their own swing-grate and even showed me the picture in his pricebook.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Anyone have a picture of the medium bge/ small grate combo with the extender? I put mine together last night and am wondering if i installed the base of the extender to far out. 
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    edited June 2013
    @Cortguitarman - can you take out the extender and tap the shaft with a hammer to get rid of the bend?  Seems like heavy duty stuff, so I would not think it would hurt anything.
    XL BGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @zosobao I don't think it will help, there is too much play where the shaft and tube meet. As I said, it isn't a big deal. I think some of the issue also comes from the lower grate flexing a bit.
    Mark Annville, PA