Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp to sear on Spider

Options
My PSWoo3 and cast iron grid should be here tomorrow. I'm planning to reverse seer some steaks this weekend. From what I have read, I will need to set the dome temp at about 300 to do the first part of the cook. Since I will be searing the steaks on the lower level of the PSWoo3 will I have to raise the temp to get the steaks to seer down in the fire box?

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I use a PSwoo 2 and separate spider, but basically same set up as you.  As soon as I start the egg I put the spider with a 13" CI grid into the egg so it begins heating immediately, it is sitting only 2-4" above the hot coals depending how much lump you put it so it will get plenty hot.  I "roast" my steaks indirect near 400 degrees until I am about 15-20 degrees below my target.  You may have to go direct.  I then pull my PSwoo2 and drop the steaks on the very hot CI grid from 30sec-1 1/2 mins per side depending on steak thickness.  In your case, direct I would go 350 ish and make sure the CI grid gets 45-60 minute warm up sitting close to the coals.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks B&B. That's just what I needed. I hadn't considered the need to put the CI grid in early to get it up to temp.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    season your CI grid with  a coat of veg oil, crisco or canola oil although I end up re-coating after each sear as the high heat effectively burns any oil off.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you want a little smoke on the steak, you can let it go longer indirect at 225-250 until 15 to 20 below finished temp. Kinda like a dry hot tub. Some folks do not like the smoke flavor on the steak, you can actually get a smoke ring on them if you want. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!