Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newb with a project

shadco
shadco Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hello Folks

I'm new around these here parts and didn't seem to find a place to introduce myself so I figured I would try here.

I just picked up an old Medium egg and am in the process of resurrecting it.

I did my first cook last night chicken leg/thighs at 300 with some grill mate seasoning, they came out quite well.

I have new bands on order for this one and hope to have them by this weekend, I already have new gasket material that will go on at the same time.

Doesn't appear that there ever was gasket material on this, and it seems to have had very little use. The previous owner toasted the handle cooking on it with the lid open.

I estimate this to be around 1997 vintage.

bge1.jpg 869.1K

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome to the forum shadco!

The older ones cook as well as the new...do you have the DFMT?
    DFMT?

I haven't found the glossary yet 
  • nolaegghead
    the dual function metal top - where you control the air flow on the top vent
    Yes I have both tops but my DFMT doesn't have the spiffy metal handle 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    does it have the castiron grate or the older ceramic one. i wouldnt bother putting a bge felt or nomex gasket on it, try it as is or get the rutland gasket. be careful using it before putting on the new bands, there used to be horror stories of the dome popping out of those style bands if one forgot to unlock them before shutting the dome
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shadco
    shadco Posts: 4
    older ceramic one but I picked up a cast iron one.

1 side of the locking mechanism is broke so I don't even try locking it.

Makes for interesting gymnastics trying to manage food on it but last night went well the Chicken was great.

It did extinguish when I closed down the vents so without gasket it seems to seal pretty well.
  • nolaegghead
    shadco said:
    Yes I have both tops but my DFMT doesn't have the spiffy metal handle 
    I got a used medium and made a handle for it in about 15 minutes from an old paint can and some dowel.  I'll post a pic later when I get home.
    I picked a medium up on Craigslist, looks about the same.  Had to change the castors, but it cleaned up like new.  Gave it to my daughter.  $240.00
  • billsme
    billsme Posts: 42
    I got a used Large and had to restore it some.  Put in a new draft door, cemented the firebowl back together, and then I removed, sanded, and repainted the bands with high temp paint and put back on with new stainless bolts.  Working great so far and just made a new wooden handle.