Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about brisket

I'm buying a brisket from a new source, a local supplier, that provides grass fed beef.

I just got off of the phone with this guy who had called with a question about a brisket I'm ordering for this weekend. He was talking to his butcher and needed to know if I wanted the bone in the brisket. I've never purchased a brisket with the bone in and said no. Then he told me that the flats he sells normally come in around 9 pounds while the points are 12+ pounds. I've never heard of a packer with a total weight over 20 lbs. and have read that grass fed cows can actually be smaller. Has anyone ever seen or had any experience with a 20+ lb. packer?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    I would imagine he meant the whole packer is 12+. a 12+ lb point would make a 30+ pound packer brisket. no telling how big that cow would have to be.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I asked him several times to clarify what he was telling me. Asked if that weight included the bone and if the packer was completely untrimmed (I asked for about 1/2 inch of fat on it). He was going to double check with the butcher and let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    wow, if those numbers are indeed right, I've never heard of such.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've seen 20lb briskets but not much bigger.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    from wikiwikiwikiwhat

Adult weights of cattle always depend on the breed. Smaller kinds, such as Dexter and Jersey adults, range between 272 to 454 kg (600 to 1,000 lb). Large Continental breeds, such as Charolais, Marchigiana, Belgian Blue and Chianina, adults range up to 635 to 1,134 kg (1,400 to 2,500 lb). British-breeds, such as Hereford, Angus, and Shorthorn, mature between 454 to 907 kg (1,000 to 2,000 lb), occasionally higher, particularly with Angus and Hereford.

Bulls will always be a bit larger than cows by a few extra hundred pounds. Chianina bulls can weigh up to 1,500 kg (3,300 lb); British bulls, such as Angus and Hereford, can weigh as little as 907 kg (2,000 lb) to as much as 1,361 kg (3,000 lb).

It is difficult to generalize or average out the weight of all cattle because different kinds have different averages of weights. However, according to some sources, the average weight of all cattle is 753 kg (1,660 lb). Finishing steers in the feedlot average about 640 kg (1,400 lb); cows about 725 kg (1,600 lb), and bulls about 1,090 kg (2,400 lb).

• This makes no sense. The point is smaller than the flat and a grass fed cow is generally smaller and leaner than a grain/corn fed cow. I'm wondering if he's talking about the right cut. Usually a flat from a traditionally fed cow is 6-8 lbs and that accompanying point would be maybe roughly half of that.

I would get tot he bottom of this before agreeing to take it. I know there is a book with all the exact codes that butchers use to determine the right cuts out there online somewhere. I would look it up and make sure you guys are on the same page.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Thanks @nolaegghead... I didn't think to ask him what breed the brisket was being cut from or whether it was coming from a bull, steer, cow or calf.  :-B
    Thanks everyone.

CT - I've seen those cut numbers before and, that's a good idea to refer to that. Here's a link from a Canadian beef site. You'll find brisket under the "asian cuts"

I'm pretty sure he and I are talking about the same cut but, you never know.

I just wanted to get some quick support for my notion that his numbers did not make sense. I'm assuming that there was just some misunderstanding between him and the butcher and will wait for him to call back to clarify.

Very lean and the fat it does contain has a completely different make up than traditionally fed beef (grain/corn). Much better for you but can be very difficult to get the taste and texture of traditional bbq. 

There is a possibility that you are paying for a super premium cut of beef that is predisposed not to perform the way you want for good bbq.

• nolaegghead
    I agree with CT's assessment....I was thinking the same thing... I don't know how it's graded, but I generally look for choice or better in a roast...prime isn't worth the money and select doesn't have enough fat, or doesn't taste as good because it can be ghetto cow.
    Thanks Cen-Tex... I was aware of some of the issues related to grass fed beef. I wanted to try one though and see how it turns out.
  • I agree with CT's assessment....I was thinking the same thing... I don't know how it's graded, but I generally look for choice or better in a roast...prime isn't worth the money and select doesn't have enough fat, or doesn't taste as good because it can be ghetto cow.
    Just did the best brisket I've ever eaten in my life last weekend.......It was prime. I'm sold.

• Thanks Cen-Tex... I was aware of some of the issues related to grass fed beef. I wanted to try one though and see how it turns out.
    I would try it too. Just wanted to make sure you had your eyes wide open before dropping a hundo on a brisket. Go for it and let me know how it turns out.

• nolaegghead
    I agree with CT's assessment....I was thinking the same thing... I don't know how it's graded, but I generally look for choice or better in a roast...prime isn't worth the money and select doesn't have enough fat, or doesn't taste as good because it can be ghetto cow.
    Just did the best brisket I've ever eaten in my life last weekend.......It was prime. I'm sold.

How much more is the prime over choice?  Someone at some point (and I thought it was you but maybe not) said the prime wasn't worth the extra money...maybe they actually said the waygu brisket wasn't worth it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2013

How much more is the prime over choice?  Someone at some point (and I thought it was you but maybe not) said the prime wasn't worth the extra money...maybe they actually said the waygu brisket wasn't worth it.
    It was $3.78 per lb. Might be why I was so happy with it. It might have been me that said it but this one was awesome. I reserve the right to change my opinion. If I didn't, eventually I would probably be wrong on everything :D

• nolaegghead
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  That's very reasonable.  Hell, down in New Orleans, the cheapest you'll find select is about $1.90.  Still interested in comin' down to the Big Easy and maybe cooking some briskie?  I'm pretty sure I have your phone number after cloning your phone down in Salado (I kid!  I kid!) 
    Matador's in Frisco sells Prime.   Everytime I go in, they have several to choose from, will trim to suit.
    Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker  That's very reasonable.  @#!*% , down in New Orleans, the cheapest you'll find select is about $1.90.  Still interested in comin' down to the Big Easy and maybe cooking some briskie?  I'm pretty sure I have your phone number after cloning your phone down in Salado (I kid!  I kid!) 
    yep- would love to. I'll email my phone #

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    At the Eastern Market in Detroit there is a place called The House of Meat.  You can get the huge briskets the restaurants use for their corned beef dinners.  Those puppies go 25-30 lbs all day long.  I think a good 14-15 pounder is the best for taste and grilling time

Simple ingredients, amazing results!