Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second egg recommendation

Hello, I presently have a large BGE and I'm considering adding a second egg. I'm looking to add smoking capacity and, more importantly, the opportunity to have 2 cooking eggs capabilities. I'd like to be able to slow smoke on one and grill/finish on a second or do combo cooking with smoking and baking or grilling on the second. Do many of you have multiple eggs? If so do you have different sizes? I'm thinking of adding a second large and abandoning portability for capacity. Any advice is appreciated. Thnx, Matt in Nashville
Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting

Comments

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Sounds like two Larges would work well for your situation.  I am wondering if you have an Adjustable Rig or Woo w/ an extender to give you more capacity now on your first egg?   If not maybe that could offer other options.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    The biggest you are willing to pay for.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Unless you want portability, go for another large and share accessories.
    Mamaroneck
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    I use a second stacker rack. I think they call it the extender. But when using rib racks I don't have room to stack or use both racks at the same time. I'm considering a second large to double the rack capacity or be able to do ribs and a shoulder or brisket. Again, any advice is appreciated.
  • I have an XL and a small. Combo works great for me for a number of reasons.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Asking folks here whether they have multiple eggs is like asking if a frog's @ss is watertight :D

Depends on what you are looking for. For portability, consider the small vs. mini. If cooking for 2-4 people most of the time, and you want a super portable egg then get the mini. Its an awesome little griller, smoking in it might take some effort. The small is great and portable if you are okay moving it around (about 70lbs), and have a >4 people to cook for regularly.

If you don't care for portability, and cook a lot, then get the second large as mentioned above and share the accessories. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • micheggin
    micheggin Posts: 39
    large for 9 years and a new medium just a few weeks old.  loving the medium for really quick hot temps... heats up fast and perfect amount of overflow space for side dishes.  also medium is a nice option for using less lump and great for last minute cook possibilities
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Large and XL. I wasn't worried about portability and have a lot of capacity and toys.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Do you travel much where you could use a small? Do you cook for 2 people often? I have owned every size egg and the double large combo and it really comes down to what you will use them for. If you don't plan on traveling with your eggs then the 2 large combo is a no brainer. You can get the spyder and a 15" grate for searing to save charcoal and then you still have the space of 2 larges for group cooks. If you want an egg to travel with then get the small and you can still do many different cooks in the small. I have done 2 9 pound shoulders in my small so you can even use the small for low and slows and use the large for sides. You really can't go wrong but if you do need a portable egg the small can cook a decent amount of food.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like having two.  I use one for direct, the other indirect.  But that changes based on requirements.  If you're a small family, get a smaller egg as a second.  Lump ain't cheap, and firing up an XL to cook two steaks takes a helluva lot more lump than a mini or small.
    edited June 2013
    If your throwing portability out the window, get another large, you can share accessories and the large is a strong machine.

I like my small, but wanted portability in my second egg. ;) my third egg will be an xl though :)) when I buy it I'm try and sneak a mini away inside of it

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Get an adjustable rig for more cooking space on the large. As others have said if portability and mobility are important the mini is a cooking machine.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    In your kitchen do you have a second oven? It's the same thing with having two Larges. Easy to have that ham on one and the turkey on the other on holidays. I have two Larges and a Mini, and use the Mini way, way more than the Larges.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Thanks so much for all the great input. I guess it was a bit short sited to ask if anyone here has more than one... I'm not looking for portability. I'm really looking for more options in cooking simultaneously and more capacity. I hadn't thought about a smaller size heating up quicker and being less hassle. I don't really think the large is much hassle, it heats up fairly quickly but I suppose it will use more lump. I'll get over to the shop and do some pondering. One thing's sure, I like the confirmation that having more than one isn't excessive or weird. . Thanks everyone.
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    mdozier said:
    TOne thing's sure, I like the confirmation that having more than one isn't excessive or weird. . Thanks everyone.
    Oh, I wouldn't go that far ;-)

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet