Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underbite, "Customer Service" problem

I'm sorry to make this my fist post. I usually try to introduce my self to a forum first, but I'm missing out on summer grilling.   I  bought a large BGE from Sullivan Hardware in Indianapolis.  They had assembled it.  I got a good deal and brought it home.  Right from the start, there where problems.  the gasket burned on minor cook, because the dome had an underbite. I looked it up, readjusted, but after heating up it would be back to having an underbite.   I have adjusted it, per the BGE instructions countless times.  The black paint is now worn off the nut from my attempts to fix it.  I took the whole damn thing apart and carefully reassembled it, nothing changed.

Emailed BGE.  They sent a new gasket and the instruction on how adjust the alignment.  Redid gasket (that was a pain) and realigned, but it came out of alignment almost immediately.  I think the hinge is bent.  My second gasket is almost toast and it is starting to roll up. Emailed BGE, they asked for photos, and that was the last thing i heard from them.  That was over a month ago. I have sent them 5 emails with photos, besides the perfunctory "we recived your email" email, no response.  Called Sullivan, they said they can't help me without the company approving.   I feel like returning it.  My guest all comment on how it doesn't close right because of the rolled and burnt gasket.  "Isn't that thing really expensive?  Why didn't you just get a Weber?" I no longer know how to respond. I love the way it cooks, when it works.  What should I do?
imageimage

Comments

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I put my large together. When I completed assembly I noticed that my egg had a 1/2" underbite...loosened the bands, adjusted the hinge, all to no avail. Finally I moved the location of the band on the dome down, similar to your picture, I had the band on the dome moved up as far as possiblenthinking the higher in the groove the better. I lowered the band almost to the bottom edge of the dome and tightened the band...no more underbite
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I took off my dome on an already put together egg. I now too have an under bite. I have tried to fix with no success but my egg works its just a visual thing.

The spring hinge is tricky I'll try again at another point to get it perfect.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have the same issue and the only fix that has helped is take the band off and bend the metal parts that attach to the back of the egg out or in. It still doesn't line up good I just live with it. I think they get bent in transit sometimes and there is no fixing from there.
  • Step off the ledge man. This is fixable. I would take it back (or better yet, have them send someone out), tell them you are unhappy and ask them for a new gasket and dome adjustment. Even though this is a minor deal, they've done hundreds and you've never done it. It should take them under 30 minutes and cost them $15 for a new gasket. You shouldn't have to hassle with your new $1000 toy but if they suck about it and won't take care of you this is still all fixable. If they don't take care of you, it might be nice to remind them that you are planning on buying thousands of dollars worth of lump and supplies over many years, not to mention all the other items they carry while you are in their store, and it would be a shame to lose your business over many years for something so silly as a minor customer service issue. That gasket is a mess so that is most likely the source of your problem.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    I bought my first egg at Sullivan's and go there regularly. I have only needed one item taken care of on warranty and they were more than happy to help. Are you talking to Paul or Pat? Either of those guys should be able to help you out regarding the adjustment. It's a little tricky and more difficult to get right than the directions sound
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I live in Indy and have purchased items from Sullivan's.  They are great to get lump, rubs, and accessories from and they are just down Keystone for me.  However, I learned the most and have been given  a lot of personal attention from Chef JJ's in Broadripple.  They run a Big Green Egg Bistro and he also does catering all done on the Big Green Egg.  I would go and visit Chef JJ and show him your photos.  I bet he would offer to look at your egg for you. I bought mine at an EggFest in KY and he has been so helpful and even replaced my dome thermo when it was broken no questions asked.  Good luck!   
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    I would also call the mother ship, not email. When you call, write down the date, time and person that you spoke to and keep calling; emails are way to easy to ignore.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    I would also suggest calling someone at BGE. I have read over the years that they are not great at responding to email.  Any metal parts are covered by warrany. I would ask for new bands and hinge. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    One thing I noticed looking at your pics is that your bolts are not bent!!

Mine look like the little dude from the Matrix bent them just like he did the spoon! Tighten them suckers up A LOT more!!

Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yeah the bands are crooked and there is too much give in the bolts. Get someone to assist you- have them hold the dome in place while you go around the egg an make sure the bands are centered and straight. Then tighten the bolts until they bend.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    I am in the weeds with two kids ATM, can someone please take a pic of what the bolts should look like when tightened properly?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    count me in the underbite camp - used washers to  move the lid forward...after I got a new hinge set from mothership. Over 600 and back it slides. no matter what. Had my medium over 900 and it never budged. go figure.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    cazzy said:
    One thing I noticed looking at your pics is that your bolts are not bent!! Mine look like the little dude from the Matrix bent them just like he did the spoon! Tighten them suckers up A LOT more!! Good luck!!
    Good eye.  I torqued the bejesus out of mine....until nicely bent.  If you break the bolt, you went too far.  If it don't deform, it ain't tight enough.  Doing it evenly is key so sideways overbite.  The hinge bolts can help with front/back alignment.
  • It looks to me like your lower band needs to come up some. And maybe your upper band needs to come down a bit as well. (it's not impossible that your hinge could be out of spec I suppose) To me it looks like a door that is slightly ajar. I suspect that the higher temp cooks are causing the metal band to expand, then slip out of alignment. The assembly manual expressly states to re-torque the bands after the first few uses. I don't personally like the washer alignment method due to the possibility of insufficient thread engagement on the stud. You don't want that acorn nut to come off unexpectedly.  If only there was a way to prevent the bands from slipping. Maybe something like this under the band would help the band's grip on the ceramic. Fiberglass Tape

Oh yeah, there is a torque value on the band bolts. Couldn't tell you what is is at the moment, but there is one.
    Gittin' there...
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Had an issue not long after purchase.   My experience with BGE/Dealer customer service was outstanding. 

I agree with CenTex, have your dealer send someone out to do the adjustment.  

Cookin in Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Before you just go ahead and tighten the bejesus out of the bolts, try to get them close to 10 ft lbs or 125 in lbs like this says:

STEP 4 Position the dome onto the Egg bottom and inside the upper band taking care to align the front of the dome (the ceramic dome has a small hole in the band attaching surface that indicates the front) with the band front (midway between the handle attaching bolts) Insert (1) 5/16” x 2” carriage bolt through the square hole in the band flange then through the round hole in the opposite flange. Install (1) 5/16” flat washer and (1) 5/16” hex nut (hand tighten only). Check to make sure the dome is centered and seated evenly against the egg bottom. Next, position the hinge / band assembly so the lower band is as low as it will go all the way around on the egg bottom. The upper and lower bands will be properly spaced by the hinge assembly at the rear, but the bands are flexible and you should move the upper band as needed to make the space between the bands equal to the rear on the sides and front also. Next, securely tighten both the upper and lower bands to approximately 125 inch lbs. (bending of the bolt and the flanges during tightening is normal / recommended, Don’t fear, the ceramic will not break). Make sure the dome is still evenly seated on the Egg bottom and proceed to tighten all (8) Keps nuts that attach the hinge assembly to the bands. At this time, you should also tighten the 1⁄4” Acorn nuts that attach the handle assembly to the upper band.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777

Before you just go ahead and tighten the bejesus out of the bolts, try to get them close to 10 ft lbs or 125 in lbs like this says:

STEP 4 Position the dome onto the Egg bottom and inside the upper band taking care to align the front of the dome (the ceramic dome has a small hole in the band attaching surface that indicates the front) with the band front (midway between the handle attaching bolts) Insert (1) 5/16” x 2” carriage bolt through the square hole in the band flange then through the round hole in the opposite flange. Install (1) 5/16” flat washer and (1) 5/16” hex nut (hand tighten only). Check to make sure the dome is centered and seated evenly against the egg bottom. Next, position the hinge / band assembly so the lower band is as low as it will go all the way around on the egg bottom. The upper and lower bands will be properly spaced by the hinge assembly at the rear, but the bands are flexible and you should move the upper band as needed to make the space between the bands equal to the rear on the sides and front also. Next, securely tighten both the upper and lower bands to approximately 125 inch lbs. (bending of the bolt and the flanges during tightening is normal / recommended, Don’t fear, the ceramic will not break). Make sure the dome is still evenly seated on the Egg bottom and proceed to tighten all (8) Keps nuts that attach the hinge assembly to the bands. At this time, you should also tighten the 1⁄4” Acorn nuts that attach the handle assembly to the upper band.

I presume you use the torque wrench that comes with every egg?  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • jetmech
    jetmech Posts: 75
    cazzy said:
    One thing I noticed looking at your pics is that your bolts are not bent!! Mine look like the little dude from the Matrix bent them just like he did the spoon! Tighten them suckers up A LOT more!! Good luck!!
    Agreed. I was on my phone the first time I posted and had a hard time viewing the pictures. It looked that way to me but I couldn't tell in my little screenshot
  • Skiddymarker
    @The_Naked_Whiz - good point, I just walk to the garage and grab whichever one is on top of the tool chest, being a gear-head has its advantages. Given you can buy a small torque wrench that will get you in the ball park for less than a bag of lump, and if used for the egg only will outlive the user as you change gaskets over the next "really long time", to me it is worth it to get the right tool resulting in an accurate/sound assembly.  
    My egg even came with a suggestion to hang a 10# bag of spuds on the end of a 12" wrench (which is not the easiest thing to find). It would have been easier to use a 12# weight on the end of a standard 1/2" drive socket wrench - most of them are 10" long. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Without a torque wrench, every one of us has a different idea what "tight" is!!  My egg is out of aliegnment right now, it has "rubbed" my rutland gasket in half back by the hinge.  This was my problem, because i didn't check the torque on a regular basis.  The egg's ceramic thickness expands and contracts as we heat them up and cool them down.  I originally torqued the bands using a torque wrench and yes the bolts bent.  But six months later, i checked the torque and was suprised on how much the bands had expanded, and it needed quite a bit of tightening.  The third torque checking was much less and the forth very little.  I think this like a "break in" adjustment, until the bands expand to their maximum..  I use ten foot pounds..

We all have read about owners opening their eggs and have the dome come right off in their hand!!  The bands can get this loose.  They need to be checked like twice a year, when the unit is new!!   My $.02

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'm far from being terribly handy would a torque wrench like this be adequate?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-1-2-in-Drive-Micrometer-Torque-Wrench-644999/203117032#.Ubj4b5zV35M
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    @skiddymarker and @all_da_otha_peeps

Believe it or not, I actually did use a torque wrench the first time I did it.  Like skiddy, I've been a gear head and I have some snap-on stuff that I almost never use any more.  The 2nd and third times, I prayed to the wrench god bejesus that the bolt wouldn't break.  I have good intuition on stuff like that, rarely screw up, so I was a little more cavalier.
    This is more swing-set engineering than it is German car engineering.
    edited June 2013
    Ok, lord.  I got stuff to respond too.
    @Bustersdad  I have adjusted the positions of the bands multiple times. I'll try and get Sullivans to do it.  Thanks for your help.
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  I disagree that the issue is minor. It's a continuous problem with the product, and a complete lack of response from to companies, Manufacturer and retailer.  Thanks for your response.
    @jetmech I keep trying to talk to Paul, but he is never there when I go..  Thanks!
    @cazzy Yes, they are quite bent, it's just the angle of the photo.
    @freddyj and @SmokeyPitt I didn't know they had a number.

Thank you all so much!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @freddyj and @SmokeyPitt I didn't know they had a number.

770.938.9394  good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    edited June 2013
    Spoken like a true BMW owner. Have you put a swing set together recently? Holy crap, bought this "thing" for my Grandson, he will be a freshman before he gets a chance to play on it. 
  • nolaegghead

Spoken like a true BMW owner. Have you put a swing set together recently? Holy crap, bought this "thing" for my Grandson, he will be a freshman before he gets a chance to play on it. 
    Hahahah....I know what ya mean...with the advent of SolidWorks and CAD/CAM, these engineers design some crazy complicated stuff and it's trickling down into the mundane consumer appliances and durable goods.  Just break out the welder and pick up a few cans of primer, and, voila!
  • Got in touch with someone at the retailer, and they said they are sending someone out. We'll see.  My worry is that they will adjust it, say "It's fine," then after a high heat cook it'll go back askew and they will say "but we fixed it."
  • I was saying the repair was minor....as in It's an easy fix and not to sweat it too much because we could walk you through it.

The service issue is another deal

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The only way I was able to get service was to take it it, that was a week ago. Not a word since.