Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber Q WIFI ?

Options
dougbacker
dougbacker Posts: 277
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Any one have an idea why the IP address changes on my Cyber Q every time I power it up?
This is really annoying, I have to go and change my router settings everytime.
Also it will change sometimes during a cook
Called BBQ Guru 3 days ago and have not gotten a return call ;(
CS is beginning to STINK
So I thought maybe one of my faithful friends here could help :)

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I dont have a Cyber Q but I know a teeny bit about networking in general.  If you dont have your router setup to give it a reserved IP address, it will assign it an available ip every time.
    I googled it and it looks like here is a setup guide to help you with a reserved ip address:

This links to another forum, hope that isn't against the rules somewhere...

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • dougbacker
    Options
    dweebs0r I don't know didly about networking but I did have my SP set me up with a static IP and I have that put into my Cyber Q $ router. It's the Cyber Q that changes(the IP on the Cyber Q is assigned on boot-up)  NOT the router

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Reserving an IP address for the CyberQ is definitely the way to go. This is done on your router. When the CyberQ boots up and requests an IP from the router, the router will always assign it an IP you set (again, router side). The router also makes sure it doesn't hand out that IP to anything else. All you need is the MAC address from the CyberQ.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    dweebs0r I don't know didly about networking but I did have my SP set me up with a static IP and I have that put into my Cyber Q $ router. It's the Cyber Q that changes(the IP on the Cyber Q is assigned on boot-up)  NOT the router
    I don't understand your comment.  Your CyberQ does not change IP addresses, per se.  It requests one from your router and uses that.  If you have properly configured your router to permanently assign an IP address to your CyberQ's MAC address, then it won't change.  My review of the CyberQ shows how to do this.  It's on this page of the review: Setting Up Your CyberQ  This is not the same as setting up a static IP address.
    The Naked Whiz
  • dougbacker
    Options
    The Naked Whiz
    I have a linksys router but my screens look different then yours.
    Is there anyway I could call you sometime and you could walk me through it
    It would be VARY much appreciated

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Dougbacker, can you tell me which exact router you have?  i might be able to find a manual online.
    The Naked Whiz
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    I followed The Whiz directions and ours is not set to static IP.  I have issues with it beeping all the time and the temps going crazy, but other than that it has been great.  Hubby got it for me for Christmas and  Birthday.  
  • dougbacker
    Options
    The Naked Whiz it's a Linksys WRT54G Firmware version v3.03.1
    I cannot find a DHCP reservation screen anywere in my router set-up 

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    I don't see a way to set a reserved IP on that router. 

So, consider setting the router to give out DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.3 through 192.168.1.50. Then, on the CyberQ Wifi, set it as a static to 192.168.1.60. In that way it already has an IP and it won't conflict with what the router gives out. 

Make sure that you set up the CyberQ with the Wifi address of the router for DNS and as its default gateway. If your router is 192.168.1.1, make sure those are set for both DNS and Default Gateway. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.

Hope this helps.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • dougbacker
    Options
    North_Is_Up Ok I admit I'm lost.....Any chance I could get you on the phone sometime and have you help me through this.
    It would be VARY much appreciated

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    This thread does not inspire me to want a cyber q
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• The Naked Whiz
    edited June 2013
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    This thread does not inspire me to want a cyber q
    I am pretty sure that he would have the same problem with a Stoker.  The setup in your router is the same regardless of which device you use.  He is using an old router that doesn't let you do what he needs to do to keep the device assigned to the same IP address.  I had absolutely no problems with setting up either the Stoker or the CyberQ.  Usually when people have problems they are either using an older router or they are doing something oddball that the average person doesn't do.  But the problems people have would usually occur on either device.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    +1 @NakedWhiz - I too had problems setting it up for infrastructure mode.  Everytime I tried to check the settings in a browser it wouldn't work.  I was so frustrated... then I searched my Bell Sagecom router and found out that Bell has it set up so you can't view your own IP address from the home computer... hooked up my work computer on VPN with my work server and it was right all along.... so frustrating but now that I know that the Cyber Q is awesome.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• dougbacker
    Options
    fiver29The Naked WhizBigWaderNorth_Is_Up It also don't help that I don't know Didly about networking, And I am REALLY dangerous when it comes to puters. I know where Ctrl Alt Del and the power buttons are. Please don't be turned off by the Cyber Q WIFI because of MY short comings. It really is a GREAT unit and works well. It really does amaze me that I have gotten this far with NO knowledge of networking. Here is a graph of my last cook with it(PitPal App for Android) Ain't that cool. The major drop in temp is when I opened the dome.

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I replied earlier and was censored. Will this post?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• dougbacker
    Options
    fiver29 Yep works great and I saw ur other post

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI