Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Clean-out cook - Stuffed catfish, grilled bok choy, taters

calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Rummaging around, I found a frozen stuffed catfish fillet, a bag of bok choy, and some red potatoes. Put em all together, and we've got stuff to egg with!

Fired up the small on Sunday night. Poured a few fingers of Ardberg (no pics, but it happened).

First time grilling bok choy. Seasoned with nanami togarashi, sea salt, light soy sauce, chili sesame oil, and some pepper. Direct at 350-400ish for a few minutes then flipped.

Kind of threw whatever I could find at the taters - ghost pepper salt, pepper, sage, 8th Wonder spice rub, and something else.

Let the taters go for about 20 mins then added the catfish fillet to the grid. The stuffing had crawfish I think (bought from Hebert's who knows when)

Once the taters were done, the fish still had a bit to cook. Pulled it about 10mins later when the stuffing read 170°F

It was a nice relatively healthy meal. I loved how the bok choy turned out. I'm not a fan of potatoes, but they had a nice kick to them. The fish was pretty good for something store-bought, but I will probably try to make my own version the next time I want something like that.

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
·

Comments

• SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    How did the grilled bok Choy come out. Doesn't bok Choy have a slight bitter taste? Otherwise good looking cook!!
    ·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 350
    edited June 2013
    Grilled bok choy! Brilliant!
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
    @Socalcajudo: I don't think the bok choy tasted bitter, but it may be subjective. I like bok choy though, and we eat it regularly. It tasted awesome grilled. After grilling, I placed them back in the dish, cut side down, and they soaked up the juices from the seasoning - really tasty!

·
  • SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Ooohh. That sounds really good soaking it in the marinade again. Bok Choy is always good with fish or seafood in my opinion.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,660
    Like an episode I chopped. Egg style
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
    @Chubbs - I didn't think of that, but you're right :)

@Socalcajudo - The little bit of char on the bok choy leaves in particular tasted great after soaking in the marinade.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,808
    Bok choy is totally awesome.  Unless you're a super-taster.   I love it.  Looks good.

·