Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A tour of Black's BBQ in Lockhart

I had to take my bride to Austin for a meeting today, so on the way back to Houston, I made a slight detour through Lockhart to my favorite BBQ joint on the planet - Blacks.

We got brisket and ribs and a couple of sides. But the good part is that they gave me a tour of the pits in the back.  Not much being cooked, since it was 2:00 on a Tuesday, but there was enough to get the idea.  I'm posting this because of the info he gave me.  They cook their meats at 300 - 350 degrees.  I thought it would have been in the low 200s.  He also said they don't cook to time or temperature, but feel.  He got out a probe and pretended to stick the brisket.  I said "kinda like the toothpick method?" and he said "exactly".

So, next time, I'm upping the temp and getting the toothpicks out.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Blacks is second in my list of great BBQ (Pecan Lodge is my 1). I will be down In the Hill country this weekend for 4 days and I am definitely stopping at Blacks one day and going for another round.
    That's interesting that the temp is that high.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's open 8 days a week...must be good. 

edited June 2013
    Really cool @VI. You guys in TX are lucky to have so many joints. I am surprise by the higher temps too but I guess the idea is to pump the food out. Did you say, "oh you turbo the meat like Mickey?"
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    They have a wall with pictures of the 10 most wanted BBQ criminals, titled  WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE.  Mickey's picture is at the top, next to the picture of his internationally famous burnt chicken wings.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I do brisket at 300 all the time. 270-300 has been the sweet spot for me. I go between those temps depending on when I want it done. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Closest good Q joint to me is about 5-600 miles away. And beyond. On the other hand, I don't have to live in Texas.  :D

Gary, u know I'm just jerkin' yer chain. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Village Idiot
    Closest good Q joint to me is about 5-600 miles away. And beyond. On the other hand, I don't have to live in Texas.  :D

Gary, u know I'm just jerkin' yer chain. :)
    Welcome to the zoo, Michael.  Knowing you, you can take the heat.

Now, image

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've been to Black's and loved the old school feel of the place. You walk in and know that you're in a place serious about bbq.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    300 I can get on board with and do for some of my cooks but 350 seems high. Guess you can't argue with success and there are definitely lots of ways to skin a cat.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    The family is good people.  Love the crust on the grill.  The meat is cooked on a big, long, deeper than my waist pit with the fire on one end and the draft on the other---it aint no offset smoker.  Temp along the pit will vary probably 25-50 degrees.  A good pit master knows when to and where to move the meat to get the most out of the pit and the food.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Now, image

That's what I love about you, man... subtlety.  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Village Idiot
     pit with the fire on one end and the draft on the other---it aint no offset smoker.  

That's my definition of an off-set smoker.   :-O

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• According to TX Monthly, They actually cook them in a gas rotisserie (blaspheme) with WOOD SOAKED IN WATER (more blaspheme!)  for 8 hours, then refrigerate (even more.....) it for 2 days like Salt Lick. Then they rewarm it in the brick pits. Just goes to show you there are a lot of ways to skin a cat. So, if you are gonna cook like Blacks, you are going to need a hell of a lot more than a toothpick  :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I might have to remove one blasphemy. It says wood "stored in a cooler" (not in water in a cooler although I don't know why you would put it in a cooler if you weren't soaking it). It also says "it's among the weirdest smoking routines in Texas but you can't argue with the results". I'll agree that when it's good, it's as good as anybody's.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Heading to Austin next week and I will put Blacks on my list.  Anyone ever been to the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse?  Good spot if you are ever passing through.

Milton, GA.
  • It's open 8 days a week...must be good. 

I may be late on the draw, but when did you come back Nola?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Your married?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's open 8 days a week...must be good. 

I may be late on the draw, but when did you come back Nola?
    @biggreenbamagriller - Yesterday.  My productivity off-forum has already tanked.  I think I'll regret this...I'm not good at moderation.
    edited June 2013
    Mmm, I wish I could go there at least once a week for a beef rib! Gary, thank you for recommending Black's to me!

I asked Kent for a tour when I was there in April. I loved his gentleness & hospitality so much that I did a write-up on them as soon as I got home! http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/blacks-barbecue/

Everyone there was gracious. It was even more apparent when we went to another BBQ place in the same town on the same day and it had a completely different feel to it. Maybe it's just me... but I think love, kindness, and hospitality makes food taste better. :x

Black's Barbecue Black's Barbecue
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.