Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza on the Mini Egg This Weekend- Need Tips and Advice

We bought a mini just a few weeks ago (compliments of a gift card from a fabulous group of co-workers) to go with our large BGE. So far we have only cooked burgers on it. I bought the woo from the CGS and the mini stones folks recommended on this forum. I adore this forum! So very helpful! I took a pizza cooking class in NYC some years ago so I have been making homemade pizzas for a while. I am decent with the dough. What tips do you have for pizza on the mini? How hot? How long? What else should I keep in mind? My husband is the grilling go-to in this household, but this mini is all mine!!!
1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Don't have a mini but let me move it back to the top.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    I like cooking pizzas on the mini and do not use any special formula. Cheap pizza dough and some sauce with cheese and the topping of your choice. I do recommend you make some spacers with aluminum foil between your two stones to keep the top stone from getting too hot and burning the crust. I just roll up a couple pieces of foil like a hot dog or dowel and flatten them. A  quarter inch of space is all that is needed. My temp usually varies between 500 and 600 degrees and I monitor how well it is cooking by shining a light into the top vent and when the cheese starts bubbling or turning a little brown, I will open it up and check the crust to see if it is slightly brown. I like to keep it simple and have not gotten burned yet except for the time I didn't use the spacer between the stones. I use parchment paper under the pizza for the complete cook and cut it just slightly larger than the pizza. It makes it easy to place and remove.
  • Thanks for your suggestion. I did not see your post in time for my pizza cook, and I did burn the crust! I would have never thought of spacers with foil. The ideas about shining a light and the temp are also good ones. Thanks again! Here is a photo. It was great EXCEPT for the seminola flour that scorched in the bottom. Your foil tip should cure that though!!!
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Semolina is made for making pasta and is not the best choice for pizza dough.  Use King Arthur Bread Flour in the blue bag for an airy dough or "00" Italian flour like Caputo for Neopolitan style pizza that is thin and cooks fast.  Simple ingredients, great results.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Thanks! I did use King Arthur flour, but the semolina was what I used to keep the dough from sticking to the pizza paddle so it would slide to the preheated stone. I haven't used the bread flour version of King Arthur but will get some for the next cook! Thanks!
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    What else can be used as a 'spacer' besides tin foil?
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    Some have reported using copper elbows.. Actually you could use anything that is fireproof... large metal nuts, bottlecaps, etc!!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What else can be used as a 'spacer' besides tin foil?
    bricks, rocks, copper pipe fittings, steel pipe fittings, nuts, ramekins, little green feet, soda or beer cans, broken pieces of your old pizza stone, lots of stuff.
    edited June 2013
    Clay planter feet from Lowes. About $5. @Mickey has a pic.

This inspires me to try pizza on the mini! Yours looks great.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Empty tuna cans are excellent.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    @sickeyediaz I use a cake cooling rack