Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seal replacement questions;

Elde
Elde Posts: 148
Burned out my stock seals doing a cleaning burn and getting distracted...  So, I've got a couple of questions;

Most of the seal came off with some very gentle persuasion from a paint scraper, but some cottony bits remain - how do I get those off?

How clean does the surface need to be?  In some spots, it cleans easily all the way down to unglazed ceramic, in others there's a stubborn black glaze.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you heat it up, the old gasket comes off easier. 

I used a sander the last time I scraped off an old gasket.  You want the old adhesive and gasket completely removed.  Then you want to remove from the gasket surfaces any trace of oil/grease/fat with some degreaser - isopropyl alcohol, acetone or mineral spirits work. 
    I've used this on all four of mine.  Works great!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Some good Info here good to know about the 3M sander

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148

I used a sander the last time I scraped off an old gasket.  You want the old adhesive and gasket completely removed.
    So, all the way down to bare ceramic?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Elde said:

I used a sander the last time I scraped off an old gasket.  You want the old adhesive and gasket completely removed.
    So, all the way down to bare ceramic?
    I did.  I used one of those 3M pads on a die grinder with my large, then when I did my medium I couldn't find it so I just grabbed a sander.  Worked fine.  Just try not to remove too much ceramic - be gentle, you're just removing adhesive.  Also, take out any lump during this operation and clean it out before you fire it up again.  Burning gasket is no bueno. 
     Also, take out any lump during this operation and clean it out before you fire it up again.  Burning gasket is no bueno. 
    It's currently completely taken apart, cleaned out, and resting between the ribs of my cutting/assembly table (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/48863)....  There's a pair spaced just right (by accident) to hold the base securely and at a good working height and angle.

Thanks!