Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CERAMIC FLOOR TILE?

Options
Good day all.....I was wondering if plain old ceramic floor tile (not a concrete paver) would be acceptable as a base platform for my egg to sit on?

The egg will be in a  TABLE NEST and have a 2" air gap between it and the and the ceramic floor tile below.

Can the tile handle the heat (it is ceramic right?) and weight? I guessing the tiles are 1/2 to 3/4" thick.

Thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'd be more worried about a ceramic floor tile handling the weight of the egg.

Depending, of course, on how the tile is situated in or on your table.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Whats best for placing the table nest on than....directly on the table or is some kinda stone required here?? Is a air gap enough?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I think the air gap is recommended no matter what you put under your egg. Without knowing your table design though it is hard to say if the ceramic tile will support it's weight. If your tile is just resting on cleats then I would say no. If your tile is sitting on solid wood the the weight would not be a problem.

Now that I've given it a few more minutes of thought though I would recommend that you err on the side of caution and go with something a little thicker than a ceramic floor tile (for safety reasons).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks texanofthenorth maybe some firebrick is a better idea.
    I am planning on going 17" from the shelf of table to tabletop.That's the 15" recommended by bge plus the an extra  two inches to accomidate the height the table nest gives.

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

I've got my large on a table nest and sitting on an 18" square ceramic tile piece in my table.  I do have 4 2X2's underneath the tile to help handle the weight.  Table is 6 months old and no heat or weight issues.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Patio stone is very cheap and the big box stores have a good selection of colors.  They are about two inches thick, and will handle both the heat and weight much better than ceramic tile.  Just for peace of mind, i would go with a patio stone.  My  $ .02

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

I've got my large on a table nest and sitting on an 18" square ceramic tile piece in my table.  I do have 4 2X2's underneath the tile to help handle the weight.  Table is 6 months old and no heat or weight issues.

How thick is your 18*18 tile and do you remember the distance from shelf to table top you used just wanted to make sure the hinges clear.

thanks.

• CANMAN1976
    Options

Patio stone is very cheap and the big box stores have a good selection of colors.  They are about two inches thick, and will handle both the heat and weight much better than ceramic tile.  Just for peace of mind, i would go with a patio stone.  My  $ .02

thanks charlie tuna...ill look into the patio stone.

• CANMAN1976
    Options
    So i only have one shot at this so..... 15" distance bge suggests plus 2" rise due to tablenest and maybe another 2 " for patio stone so what height should my shelf be. 17" sound ok to you guys???

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Sounds good to me, just remember the 17" is measured from the top of the bottom shelf to the bottom of the top shelf..  FYI, my tile is maybe 3/8" thick and was inlaid to sit flush with the rest of the bottom shelf..

• RTSampson
    RTSampson Posts: 8
    Options

I have mine setup exactly as you describe in the original.  Wood shelf, 18" ceramic floor tile, table nest egg (see avatar).  I think 17" is exactly right, but if you already have the egg, nest, and tile I'd just measure from the floor to the bottom of the hinge when open.

And not to be argumentative, but isn't it measured from top of bottom shelf to top of top shelf?  If you measured to the bottom of the top shelf you'd still have to account for the thickness of that shelf. 

Suwanee, GA
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Thanks guys 17" it is!!!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Be over my head anyway but I think one of the barbeque mats that Canadian Tire sells would work fine.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    RTSampson said:

I have mine setup exactly as you describe in the original.  Wood shelf, 18" ceramic floor tile, table nest egg (see avatar).  I think 17" is exactly right, but if you already have the egg, nest, and tile I'd just measure from the floor to the bottom of the hinge when open.

And not to be argumentative, but isn't it measured from top of bottom shelf to top of top shelf?  If you measured to the bottom of the top shelf you'd still have to account for the thickness of that shelf. 

We're both wrong.  I just looked at the naked whiz plans and it was bottom of bottom to the bottom of top.  Go figure.

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    i had the 18" ceramic floor tile under mine in the table. The tile cracked about a year ago and i just ordered the table next. I guess i was thinking that i wouldn't need any type of stone with that table nest in. Ordered it when i ordered my extra grate for grill extender. What would be the point in having both?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

mwraulst said:
    i had the 18" ceramic floor tile under mine in the table. The tile cracked about a year ago and i just ordered the table next. I guess i was thinking that i wouldn't need any type of stone with that table nest in. Ordered it when i ordered my extra grate for grill extender. What would be the point in having both?
    You're right - there's no point in having a stone/tile/brick if you have your egg in the nest.
    Options
    So the air gap is enough to prevent a fire? Good to know....thanks Nola!!!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @Nola is right, the air gap from the table nest is plenty. No need for a tile underneath it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Ceramic tile may take the heat but after repeated heatings it may break down.  Find a brickyard and buy some fire brick or common brick.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    The standard ceramic tile will ultimately crack from the heat.  I'd definitely go with the fire brick or the 2" thick concrete pavers which are cheap and work great.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I have had my large BGE sitting in a table, on three 8x16" concrete pavers to provide enough surface area, on the ceramic feet for three years.

Never any temperature problems.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Mine is sitting on a chunk of 2 x 12 long leaf pine and on the ceramic feet that came with my Egg.  It gives it a good inch air gap.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Going to try just the table nest with the two inch air gap and see how hot the table gets ,I may or may not need the stone/tile. Whatever it takes I'll do but I kinda like the simple clean look of just the nest alone.