Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you use Le Creuset enameled skillets in the BGE?

Options
I've got a few great Le Creuset enameled cast iron skillets that I'd love to use in the egg.  I know using regular cast iron skillets is no problem in the BGE, but what about enameled ones like these?  Can I throw them in there with abandon?  Have any of you tried?
Southern California

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No different than the oven. You will get some smoke stains  but they will come off with a soak. If you use oxy clean they will come off in no time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    I don't know if Le Creuset recommends preheating (my Costco knockoffs do), but if they do I'd do it on the stove.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yep, that's what they're made for.  Some people don't want to "mess them up"....reminds me of my buddy's father in law who would borrow my truck to move stuff because he didn't want to scratch up his bedliner.
    Options
    I'm planning on using mine..Le crueset or not!

The wife pretty much burnt the bottom enamel off of mine when she left it on the stove burner dry for 2 hours..... so its not as pretty as it used to be anyway!!! lol
    :((
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

Yep, that's what they're made for.  Some people don't want to "mess them up"....reminds me of my buddy's father in law who would borrow my truck to move stuff because he didn't want to scratch up his bedliner.

Wow...
    Dunedin, FL
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Great.  Thanks for the help.  I'll use it tonight!
    Southern California
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just wrap a big sheet of foil around my 9-qt french oven before I put it in the BGE.  Keeps all the smoke stain of that blue finish.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    You can although SWMBO might castrate you...
    Lynnwood WA
  • bicktrav
    Options
    double said:
    Hope I don't embarrass myself for asking, but what's SWMBO?
    Southern California
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Only if you use it while submitting an entry for the next throwdown!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bicktrav
    Options
    double said:
    Hope I don't embarrass myself for asking, but what's SWMBO?
    Southern California
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    She who must be obeyed
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options
    SWMBO would kill me if I put one of her La Creuset pots on the egg...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

She Who Maintains Body Odor

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

I use my LeCreuset dutch oven on the egg a lot.  Just need to clean the smoke stains off with windex or some other grease cutter.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

I have used enamel cast iron on egg (I don't have the fancy expensive french ones, went with the Cooks Illustrated recommendation for reasonable priced one).  Anyway, smoke stain is hard to clean off, so now I just wrap outside with HD foil before egging (someone else at one point said a light film coating of dish soap on exterior works too--I did not want soap in my egg).  This is the perfect pot for Egret's great chili recipe!!  Would post a photo of chili, but looks like I need to dig one up off computer later.

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I've used the dish soap approach without issue (damp paper towel, add dish soap, wipe entire outside of DO) - the soap was dry to the touch in under a minute.  Post cook clean up just required water and a sponge, no scrubbing - at least on the outside.  I find this easier than using a yard of foil for a large DO, especially around the handles.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I use mine all the time. Good thing they're mine...
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Le Crueset is a little too expensive for use in the Egg.  I use a good enamel coated Lodge cast iron dutch oven that I paid $50 for.  Le Crueset is triple that price.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Our retail dealer said "sure you can use them in the egg" - then something happened and we tried to get and exchange and the Regional Le Crueset rep said "we can't honour the warranty because you used it on the egg".  We assured him that the temp didn't go over 350 and we always used it indirect (ie: no flame).    Needless to say, we won't buy their product anymore.

Michael 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Here you go, cry babies. Enameled cast iron is in no way shape or form hurt by the egg.

I have used this DO for 2 years on my egg. I use it regularly for beans. I have only cleaned the outside one other time. Here is a before, after 5 min of soaking in soap water and 5 strokes with a Brillo pad, and one side with a little elbow grease.

Seriously folks, it's so easy. The black soot comes right off. No issues.

imageimageimageimage
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's totally amazing!  How did you get water to stay in a sideways sink!?

Options
    I like the dirty look
    Lynnwood WA
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    You can't beat a good Lodge DO.  You could, but it might be illegal in some states.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!