Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The official(?) "How To Use The BGE Grid Extender" thread

Comments

• zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    @Acn
    Is that an x-large bge?  If so, what size and manufacture grate do you have for the upper level?
    XL BGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

@Acn
    Is that an x-large bge?  If so, what size and manufacture grate do you have for the upper level?

No, it is a LBGE, and I actually got an extra large and medium SS grate so I don't have to dismantle and/or reassemble when I want to use his or only a single grate.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    got it.  thank you.
    XL BGE
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    So I was sitting in work today thinking how I could reinforce the upper grid . Looking at the stock we had I found a piece of 304 s/s about a quarter inch thick that fits perfectly under the grid . Filled up 4 gallons of water weighed them 9 pounds each total weight 36 pounds and placed them on the grid and it held with very little sag .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    Sorry about the upside picture I did that post from my phone
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I designed it to be installed with the male post on the bottom. This way the tube side won't fill up with water, grease, food, etc.

Oh yeah...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigphil
    henapple said:

I designed it to be installed with the male post on the bottom. This way the tube side won't fill up with water, grease, food, etc.

Oh yeah...

Using my CI grate on the bottom the bolts wouldn't align to mount it that way
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I just angled the grid...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    For my LBGE, I was able to set this up with large BGE cast iron grate on the bottom with large BGE SS grate on the top and surprisingly the top just closes.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2013
    Today's guests. A rack with Pineapple head, a rack of Dizzy dust and a rack of Swamp Venom. 5 hours to glory.
  • Spaightlabs
    If at first you don't succeed...
  • bigphil
    Jamieoro said:
    For my LBGE, I was able to set this up with large BGE cast iron grate on the bottom with large BGE SS grate on the top and surprisingly the top just closes.
    With or without the plate setter installed ?

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bigphil: thats the setup I tried (same as @Jamieoro), without platesetter. It just about fit. To use the platesetter, you need the medium grid on top.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    The Original extender in use!!!,lol
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Spaightlabs
    What I learned on my first 2 level cook: When you swing that baby out it is gonna wanna tip if the bottom isn't substantially weighted. I had 3 1/2 racks on each so they were equally weighted. I was swapping top and bottom half racks to make sure they get equal time at equal temps and she started to do the death roll on me. Caught it with the tongs, but next time I'm swinging I will have a welding glove on to stabilize the top.
  • bigphil
    edited June 2013
    @caliking Thanks, thats what i thought just needed to ask . i do know that the charcoal weber grate 17inch will allow the lid to close but its only steel who wants to cook with rust . so i finally opted for the BGE porcelain meduim grid for 25 from my dealer and wanting to keep my bottom grid got the porcelain grid for the large for 28 as well bonus was today was a demo day so got a additional 15% off as well , The BGE grids are much studier than the weber grids so to me the few extra bucks was worth it .  
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    CharlieTN said:
    bigphil said:
    @caliking yes its the LBGE SS grid with the PS and no it does not close but i think maybe a 17inch may it was fairly close to closing with the 18inch grid lowes and home depot are close enough to me i'm going to try a 17inch one if it works or not i'll post the results lter tonight or tomorrow 
    I'm using the 17" weber "Charcoal Grate" and it fits great with the PS legs up.  
    Can someone doing this post a pic.  I tried...and I don't see how this is possible.
  • bigphil
    edited June 2013
    njl look back a few posts here i posted pics 
  • bigphil
    @CharlieTN how do you plan on keeping it from rusting and will it close using the bushing as well i tried with the 17 inch and would only close without the bushing .
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Ok...I don't need pics now.  I went out and played with it some more, and with careful placement, the webber 17" charcoal grate can fit as the second level in a LBGE with plate setter legs up (without the spacer sleeve).  There's only about 0.5" space to spare on the sides.

Still, it puts the upper level pretty high...nearly in contact with the dome thermo.  I'm actually wondering if it'd make sense to cut maybe 0.5" off the post and sleeve to allow the upper deck to sit lower?  With both grids foodless, due to the weight of the webber grate, rotating it much more than about 90* will cause the entire setup to tip over. Something to keep in mind when removing food from this setup.

I bought this with the idea that it'd make it easier to do 3 or more racks of baby back ribs...but now I'm wondering how usable the top grid will actually be for that?
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    I have seen a lot of mixed opinions on which grid to use up top.

I have a large BGE and really don't want to spend $60 on another grid. Will the weber work ok or are there any other alternatives that you recommend?
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Weber 7431. 14.5" ~$9
    Mamaroneck
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    WalrusBBQ said:
    I have seen a lot of mixed opinions on which grid to use up top.

I have a large BGE and really don't want to spend $60 on another grid. Will the weber work ok or are there any other alternatives that you recommend?
    The weber works fine.  I would avoid putting a 20lb object on it. My biggest problem was keeping it from rusting.  Finally broke down and bought the med BGE ss grate and I'm happy with it.
  • bigphil

Weber 7431. 14.5" ~$9

Is that the weber charcoal grate ?
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Glad someone bumped this thread.. I had missed it, but seeing the designer's suggestion of placing the brackets across the grates makes alot of sense now as far as sag goes.. I did a spatchcock chicken on it last Friday and there was some sag..

I definitely need to get to a store to get some new grates, though.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited June 2013
    Cooking grate. Chrome plated. @CharlieTN is correct that a charcoal grate is slightly sturdier but will rust.
    Mamaroneck
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited June 2013
    Cooking grate. Chime plated. @CharlieTN is correct that a charcoal grate is slightly sturdier but will rust.
    This one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Plated-Steel-Cooking-Grate-7431/100657921#.Ubc-6ZY54fg
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Weber 7431. 14.5" ~$9
    Awesome, thank you MR!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Works great w the large CI and the small SS on bricks at the felt. Need to pick up a med SS to use on the top.
  • bigphil
    edited June 2013
    njl said:
    Ok...I don't need pics now.  I went out and played with it some more, and with careful placement, the webber 17" charcoal grate can fit as the second level in a LBGE with plate setter legs up (without the spacer sleeve).  There's only about 0.5" space to spare on the sides.

Still, it puts the upper level pretty high...nearly in contact with the dome thermo.  I'm actually wondering if it'd make sense to cut maybe 0.5" off the post and sleeve to allow the upper deck to sit lower?  With both grids foodless, due to the weight of the webber grate, rotating it much more than about 90* will cause the entire setup to tip over. Something to keep in mind when removing food from this setup.

I bought this with the idea that it'd make it easier to do 3 or more racks of baby back ribs...but now I'm wondering how usable the top grid will actually be for that?
    i did a Little messing with mine and have been able to use the weber 17 inch charcoal grate as a top grid on my large with the PS legs up and spacer installed and my dome shuts perfectly . All you need to do is slide the bottom mounting bracket over a hair .adjust and close adjust again if needed just move a hair at a time .