Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs - when to pull the membrane

Options

I've always pulled the membrane before putting them on, but I read some people pull the membrane part way through the cook.  I'm wondering is it a heat shield that prevents some moisture from dripping out in the first stage of the cook? 

Who has tried it and is it worth handling rubbed and hotter ribs to do it later on?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Always pulled while in trimming and doing prep work.

Where did you see that? Doesn't sound good to me

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Be awful slippery halfway through the cook methinks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I did a rib contest I forgot to pull it .so when I took them off to foil I pulled it then to me it was much easier to pull . In the end I don't know if it helped or hurt the ribs but I won the contest .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Never heard of pulling during the cook. I always pull mine before rubbing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    bigphil said:

I did a rib contest I forgot to pull it .so when I took them off to foil I pulled it then to me it was much easier to pull . In the end I don't know if it helped or hurt the ribs but I won the contest .

Haha awesome man!

XLBGE 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Haha awesome man!
    Just goes to show that there's often no "right" or "wrong" answer!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I usually don't pull the membrane at all. I haven't found a big difference. It definitely would not mess with it during the cook - sounds like too much effort.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    Options
    caliking said:

I usually don't pull the membrane at all. I haven't found a big difference. It definitely would not mess with it during the cook - sounds like too much effort.

I foiled mine and when I pulled it .it came off in one sheet on all four racks .I thought it was easier then when uncooked
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I pull mine off before applying rub so rub gets to meat on both sides. I find that if I leave them on the counter for a little bit it comes off easier than if I try ti pull it right out of fridge.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    It was always taught to me to pull it before you put the rub on. That is the way I have always done it and plan to keep doing it that way. Works for me!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I think the issue is foiling. A foiled rib, which is really kinda braising, will almost steam the membrane off. Only time I've done this was when I could not get the membrane off before a cook. Swifts BBs a couple of years ago, before they started doing it for you. 
    using a piece of paper towel to grab the corner of the membrane makes it much easier. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    maybe the first couple dozen rib cooks for me the membrane gave me problems, then one day it just became easy, i dont know why but they just easily pull off the ribs easy now for me. almost think that others who tell you to do it different ways never did try enough to get past that what seems to be a barrier in rib cooking
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I grab a skewer and lift up an end, then use pliers to tear it off.  90% of the time it works every time.
    Options
    When i did that they cooked for 3 hours then I pulled the membrane and foiled . Was a mistake on my part but it pulled easy reminded me of peeling sunburned skin lol
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Before - paper toweler here!
  • JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    Options
    Is it true that Costco removes the membrane from their baby back ribs?

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    JSobotkin said:
    Is it true that Costco removes the membrane from their baby back ribs?
    Not in my experience!
    Options
    I buy Costco Baby Backs all the time and the membrane has always been removed. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I buy Costco Baby Backs all the time and the membrane has always been removed. 
    Are you buying the pre-rubbed/marinated baby backs?
    Options
    No to the pre rubbed, I buy the 3 pack baby backs. I did buy the St. Louis style 3 pack last time and I had to remove the membrane but never on the Baby Backs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Just saw some guy on pitmasters tv show remove halfway thru
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    caliking said:
    I was watching the BBQ with Franklin series on the web. Aaron Franklin says he doesn't pull the membrane at the store, but doing so will make better ribs. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I find that if I leave them on the counter for a little bit it comes off easier than if I try ti pull it right out of fridge.
    I'd just read or watched that recently, anxious to give it a try.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BraveUlysses
    Options
    Costco probably has different regional sources for babybacks, so what you get may vary for that reason alone.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @aem: I can't tell the difference. Plus I actually like chewing on the membrane and sucking the rub out of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Didn't even know there was one for most of my life and I cooked a lot of ribs. Remove it now but never noticed much difference. Next time they are on sale I'll do a side by side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Are most of you cooking 3/1/1 or just straight up indirect? 
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I buy the prepacked ribs at Costco all the time and the membrane is always removed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    Options
    WalrusBBQ said:
    Are most of you cooking 3/1/1 or just straight up indirect? 
    rib rack, indirect (place setter), 3/2.5/1

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    At the beginning during prep work.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts