Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter vs Spider and Stone

blaccjack
blaccjack Posts: 37
edited June 2012 in Forum List
I'm buying my XLBGE on Monday.  First post btw. What is the benefit of the spider? Would you recommend it over the plate setter? I'm just trying to get everything I need. I'll be cooking what most of you do. Brisket, ribs, steaks, chicken etc. So I need direct and indirect heat. Thanks.

Comments

• I just asked the same thing....

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140737/plate-setter-vs-stone

Consensus seems to be that spider + stone is just fine.
  • blaccjack
    blaccjack Posts: 37
    Thanks Turtle!
  • chukknob
    chukknob Posts: 10
    If I could do it over again with my large egg I'd probably go the spider plus stone route. I have one for the xl and it works great.
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    I have not used my plate setter since I purchased my adjustable rig and spider for my large egg. Later when I got my medium egg I only bought the woo and a stone and use it all the time.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I own a platesetter for a large and when I get the adjustable rig (soon), my plan is to put the platesetter away to give to my father in law when I buy his BGE.  So to answer your question, I would do the adjustable rig if I had it to do over again.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    +1 for spider and stone over PS on XL, that's the route I went and I wouldn't change for the world. Much more versatile, and I don't feel like there's anything I can't do w/o the PS. 

All that having been said if money were no object I'd have both, just because it would (conceivably) give me even MORE flexibility in the setup i'd run for various cooks. 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I already had a Platesetter, so I went with the PSWOO2 and a separate spider.  Love them both.  I suspect the AR is a great set up as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I went with the woo as well. Rig is out of stock anyway at the moment but with the ps, woo and extender I should be covered.
    Seattle, WA
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    The AR probably is great, however, I opted for a spider.  I have much more versatility with my spider and plain old fire bricks to make any configuration I need. I bought a 15" grid to use on top of the spider for searing.  When I do my low and slows I put my fire brick on the spider and use cut down brick on top of the fire ring to bring grate up to gasket level.  Much less money for the same results in my opinion.  I am lucky enough to have the time and capabilities to make my own accessories.  since I am retired it gives me something to do.  When you live on a fixed income you find ways to improvise.  With what you see in the pics, I can achieve almost limitless combinations for all styles of smoking and grilling.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!