Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken thighs

More Eggin' in the rain - although I managed to do most of it during a break in the storm.  Had some boneless, skinless thighs from Costco that had been in the freezer for long enough, so we decided to cook 'em up tonight. 

Rubbed the thighs with DP Shakin' The Tree, then cooked raised direct (CI grate, group buy extender, regular grate - worked really well!) around 400* for roughly 7 minutes a side.  Used a few smallish chunks of cherry wood smoke for a little extra flavor.  After the thighs read 180*+, I pulled 'em, spun 'em in some sauce (western Carolina/Lexington-style), and slapped 'em back on the Egg for a bit per side - just enough to get a little caramelization going - and foiled 'em for about 10 minutes.  

They turned out tender and delicious, with just a hint of sweetness from the smoke and sauce.  We served 'em with sauteed mixed greens (spinach, chard, kale) with shallot and garlic and sweet potato tots with sriracha mayo.

Now, pics:

imageimageimage

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
·

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,272
    Looks great.  It's thigh night, my pics coming up.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • I plan on doing stuffed, bacon-wrapped thighs soon, too, but I've already had a buddy request a Porkapillar this week, and we try to only wrap one meat in bacon a week.  It's our only concession to healthfulness.

·
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    I got to ask....Porkapillar?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
    ·
  • My word for stuffed, bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152654/bacon-with-pork-and-bacon

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Now that "plated picture" is over the top -- first class- nice job...
    ·
  • Thanks, Charlie!  Trying to step up my plating and photo work to keep up with y'all.

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Thighs have become my favorite cut after having the Famous Bourbon Fried Chicken at the Firestone Public House in Sacramento. Have smoked them on the Egg and want to try frying them.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thanks, Charlie!  Trying to step up my plating and photo work to keep up with y'all.

My brother retired at age 43 from the restaurant business.  His pet peave was "presentation"!!  Not a plate went out of the kitchen without it being checked for proper "presentation", it is a very important issue in food cooking.  Your photo isn't too shabby neither..  Congrats, to me this is professional "stuff". 

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,467

No pics tonight, so you can trust me if you wish!

I have 4 chicken leg quarters on the BGE right now.

I'm trying a new rub I spotted in a store the other day.  It's Carolina-style, "Rub Some Butt".  Supposed to be great on pork or poultry.

I'll know in about an hour

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,752
    Nice plate for sure. The chicken with that sriracha mayo sounds deelish.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    Final product looks like a mix between being caramelized and slight charred, very much what I dig wif chikken.  Nice job!

·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,038
    Love tots. Sweet potato tots? How are they?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • @thetrim - the sweet potato tots are awesome.  We use Alexia brand anytime we're doing frozen fries or tots (it's the one thing we generally don't make ourselves), and we're pretty pleased with it.

·
  • That looks great!  We like Shakin' The Tree on chicken and that rub doesn't get the love it deserves.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Good job.  I like the coloring (colouring) on the plated picture.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • ReldtiCDNReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    LIKE THINKING Hey I did the costco thighs last night aswell  but with babyrays sauce end result looked the same. But had a roast cooking surrounded by thighs, chicken made dinner but roast went to 9:30. Glad I had a raincoat but have to get a roof for my egg area soon eh.
    Brampton, Ontario

·
  • CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    Oh man, I'm all over the thighs.  Did some bacon wrapped stuffed thighs this Sunday and they were awesome.

Your's look fabulous.  
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited June 2013
    thetrim said:
    Love tots. Sweet potato tots? How are they?
    Try the sweet potato tots wrapped in bacon, then brushed with pure maple syrup.  Indirect at 400 for about 30 minutes. Amazing.