Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last question for the day...BGE legs necessary?

My dad was over this weekend and noticed that I don't have legs on my egg.  It just sits on about an inch thick piece of stone in my wood table.  His has legs.  I bought my egg used and have been cooking with no legs.  Do I need the legs?  Am I asking for trouble if there is no air space between the stone and the bottom of the egg? 

As always, thanks for the help.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    They don't come with the new ones. Should be fine.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    edited June 2013
    They make a little stand you can buy as an accessory. I think it lifts the Egg a few inches.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What you are calling "legs" , i think you are refering to the BGE feet.  They are green ceramic and used to be included with each egg.  Now they are an option.  From some of the photos of burnt wood under the typical thick stone that some egg owners put under their eggs, i would try to get some type of air space or at least a second stone...   My  $.02
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't want an egg/stone/wood sammich.  I burnt a big spot on my table....added the air gap and problem solved.
    Table nest raises two inches.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Yes, I meant the feet!  I knew I was referencing it wrong. 
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Do an Ebay search on "big green egg feet"....i did not know that i had $50.00 bill under my egg.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    I went to a scrap metal shop and got them to cut me four pieces of angle iron about 6" long and use them between the egg and firebrick in my wooden table
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I would definitely add some air space or another layer of fire brick under the egg.  That paver stone gets mighty hot.  Next 400 degree cook place your fingers on the bottom of the stone under the egg and see how hot it is.  Realize that as wood goes thru many heat/cool cycles it lowers it's burning point, thats how tables start on fire.  When I first posted a pic of my new egg and table on the other forum several old timers were quick to point out that I needed an air space.  Now I have a paver, layer of fire brick and the original BGE feet.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    As long as you have the proper paver, you should be fine.  Although I would probably use something a little thicker than 1".

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If you can't find the feet and they are as scarce as hen's teeth for a reasonable price (meaning free), the table nest can be had for under $30 and it raises the egg enough a pan will fit under the egg to make ash raking easy. My feet only get used inside the egg now. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!