Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first reverse sear

Options
My first try, just wanted to post for any feedback. New York strip, was delicious. I cooked 30 mins at 250, then seared on a CI griddle. Should I sear longer for a darker char next time?
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I'd eat just like that!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Everyone on here seems like their steaks medium/rare. I like my steak well done with a nice char.....
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Options
    Those look pretty perfect to me!

If you leave them on for a deeper char, you run the risk of overcooking at least the perimeter of the steak....
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Where did you put the place setter when you pulled it?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Options
    I took it off with oven mitts and put on a rod ( wrought) iron outdoor table I have. Why?
    Is that bad?
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Little Steven just throws his hot plate setter in a snowdrift.
    Options

WTF.... where have you been brother???
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tydfan
    Tydfan Posts: 41
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all.  I usually just set mine off to the side on top of my raised grill extender until it cools down.  You may want to invest in a pair of high heat resistant gloves.  I grabbed mine with my oven mitts one time after a 400 indirect cook and just about didn't put it down quick enough.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Been busy.  I found out I get a lot more done if I'm not spending all my time chatting about food...sadly, I couldn't stay away. ;)
    Options
    pirates21 said:

I took it off with oven mitts and put on a rod ( wrought) iron outdoor table I have. Why?
    Is that bad?

Nothing wrong. I've read about reverse sear and wondered where people put their place setters. Putting it on the extended grid is a great idea.
    Great to hear from NOLA again. Brings things back into balance.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That looks amazing as is. Wouldn't change a thing
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pirates21
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    I wouldn't think he would do that and have to wait for summer thaw to get it back.Eh
    Brampton, Ontario

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I think those steaks look damn tasty.  However, if you really want some more char on the outside:  How hot was the Egg when you went back for the sear?  It might be less a function of time and more a function of getting that CI griddle flaming hot.

I set up the CI grate, PS legs up, regular grate when I do a reverse sear.  Leaving the CI in the whole time gives me a shorter pre-heat time after I kick out the jams, since it's under the PS and therefore much, much hotter than the indirect grid temp up at the felt line.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • pirates21
    Options
    Well, I was planning on letting the CI really get hot, but my wife informed me that I was "taking too long". I threatened divorce, but she was having none of it. So..dome temp was only 475. I'm sure the grill temp was much hotter, but I didn't want to melt my Maverick finding out. I guess I need to start earlier next time...yes, dear.